Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I've never heard Hildemara before. I think it's lovely!
    Noora
    Mom to Rusha, Tarek, and Naseem

I like it as a nn for Mathilda. It's a bit clunky so Mathilda would be good because it's just mainstream enough now to not seem odd to as many American ears, so if your little Hilda was shy and felt like Hilda/Hildie attracted too many raised eyebrows she could fall back on Mathilda or one of the other nn like Tilly, Tilda, Millie, Mattie, etc. at school. I'm a big fan of having options like that, especially if you're worried about the reception of the name.

Hildemara I have never heard of...it's pretty, the Mara ending certainly softens it up a bit...I think I like it, assuming it is a real name. The unfamiliarity is my only real qualm about it...

Even after arguing for Mathilda because of its comfortable familiarity, I have to say that it would be fun to meet a little girl named Hildegard or Brunhilde...but I really hope she would be a bold little girl, because it will attract a lot of attention I'm sure! If I were choosing for myself, I'd choose Mathilda by a landslide, but I'm not the gutsiest of folks.

I like just Hilda by itself. Hildegard and Brunhilda seem a little clunky. Mathilda does have more nickname options, but I don't know, I feel like Hilda is refreshingly simple.

@niftylavalamp, I think in reality I'm pretty close to you in terms of not being gutsy enough for actually naming a girl something like Hildegard. Intensely German names are definitely GP for me, and I love the way they sound, but probably couldn't bring myself to do that to a little daughter. Plus, DH would never go for it! You might be right about Mathilda being the more truly usable option in today's US. And, I know Mathilda isn't half as popular in the US than in the UK...but we live and travel internationally, where there are a lot of Brits running around, so that makes like it less.

Those who've said that Hilda alone might be very usable may also be right. I tend to like longer names with shorter, cute nns, but maybe I just need to let that go? Also, I prefer the more Germanic Hilde spelling, but still pronounced Hil-duh...would that just be confusing amongst English speakers? Would people tend to say "hild" or "hild-ee"? I don't mind the second one, but "hild" isn't cute!

You could just do Hilda or Hildie, but there are a lot of words you could stick on the end of Hilde. I'm with you when you say you like the more traditional Hilde; I know its pronounced Hild-ah, but then again I'm very familiar with Germanic and Scandinavian names.

I had actually thought of the name Wildebriar some months ago; I really like it, but Hildebriar sounds kind of cool.

Hildana
    Hildamine (hilda-meen)
    Hildemina
    Hildaglen (I dunno how I feel about this)
    Hildabel
    Hildalia
    Hildelai
    Hildara
    Hildaria
    Hildessa (I really like this one. Its like a mix between Hilda and Odessa. Battle woman on a quest!)
    Hildette
    Hildalyn
    Hildemarie
    Hildarose
    Hildemay

Really, you could do anything.
    My favorites are in bold.

Other suggestions that remind me of Hilda are Heidi and Zelda.
    Last edited by liviajoan; June 24th, 2013 at 04:20 AM.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen