Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hilda, Hilde____ ?

So, I recently developed a crush on Hilda or Hildie. I think I realized it was very close to Tilda, and I love Mathilda. (Don't love that it's getting pretty trendy, at least in some countries!) Something about that "ild" sound is very pleasing to me. It's the German side of me coming out, perhaps. Also, I just watched the movie Django, and Hildie sounded really sweet in that (short for Brunhilde that time).

However, Hildegard, as per DH "feels like a bad joke about a German woman."

But what about JUST Hilda or Hilde? OR, can you throw at me any name you can think of that includes Hilde or Hilda and maybe we can some up with something that seems reasonable? So far, all I've got is Mathilda/Matilda, Hildegard, Brunhilda, and Hildemara (seen around these parts once).

Or am I crazy and this is just totally unusable? Save it for a pet?
    Or, if we picked Mathilda and went with Hilda for a nn, does that negate the trendiness of Matilda a little bit?
    Or, name suggestions with the similar -ilda, -elda sound are also welcome.

Love, love, love Hildemara!! (it's on my list!) I too really like the ild sound (love Casilda and Donelda, also kinda like Cloetilda) Just Hilda is pretty too, but I prefer it as a nn, not a full name. Hilda as a nn for Mathilda would work well too if that's what you prefer. Hilda is an adorable nickname or full name, I think it's totally usable. I don't find it any different than Peral, Olive, or Matilda it terms of usability.
    ~ Elisabeth Odelia "Elsie" ~ Gideon Boone ~
    ~ Adelheid Ruby "Addie Rue" ~ Theodore _______ "Teddy"~
    ~ Casilda Josephine "Cassie Jo" ~ Zaccheaus __________ "Zeke" ~

Yes, you are where I saw that one! Never heard of it before, but it's apparently a real name?

What does anyone else think, is Hildemara soft and pretty enough to escape the clunky, giant-blonde-woman-in-braids images of Hildegard and Brunhilde? (I'm pretty sure those are what most Americans would picture anyway?)

Yes it's a real name, it's German and means "Glorious" according to all the sourses I've found. I found it in a book and discovered it's actually on most baby name sites, just not Nameberry
    ~ Elisabeth Odelia "Elsie" ~ Gideon Boone ~
    ~ Adelheid Ruby "Addie Rue" ~ Theodore _______ "Teddy"~
    ~ Casilda Josephine "Cassie Jo" ~ Zaccheaus __________ "Zeke" ~

I really like just Hilda. Feels a bit vintage. I love the simplicity, and I love that it is recognizable but COMPLETELY unexpected on a child today.