Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loisvs View Post
    I am a Christian and I don't feel offended by your interest in using Asa, Asher, or Silas, whether because you're an atheist or because you want to use them for a girl. (In fact, I know one girl Asher, from a religious family, too.) But I will warn you that these are very popular amongst my (fairly devout) circles of friends in the US, along the lines of Josiah, Judah, Elijah, etc, but a bit newer and fresher. I know of at least 4 Ashers under 5 years old and 2 or 3 Asas and maybe 3 Silases as well. ALL of whose parents are on the devout side of religious, not just Christian-background or something. So, my type of people may assume you are "one of us" and if that's something you want to steer clear of, be forewarned.

Also, for many people, there will be a much stronger religious/Biblical association than, say, Matthew, John or Paul, just because these are "newer"/more unusual names. Yes, many haven't heard them before and will have no association--but I would guess that MOST of the those who have heard them before will make the Biblical association.

Personally, I don't prefer boys names for girls, but I love both Sawyer and Merit for girls, and Felix is also surprisingly intriguing to me. Morgan I've always thought of as a girls name more than a boy's, probably because I had a close female friend Morgan.
    Totally get what you mean and it does bother me a little bit, but for some reason I just love ancient names that happen to be Hebrew in sound and style. I am an atheist, but I'm still Southern so I guess I just love the "down home, comfy, vintage-y" vibe of Southern/Biblical names.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by ocean8 View Post
    Rowan and Asa sounds pretty cute together. It may be biblical, but anyone who's offended probably won't be in you or your child's life for long, so it doesn't matter. To me Asa sounds sort of feminine anyways, because of the -a ending.

Rhys is a no-go to me. Sounds too harsh to my ear, and just makes me think of the chocolate, sorry!

August is a lovely name! August and Rowan are both word name-y without being too weird!

One question, why do you like the unisex names?
    Good question. I'm not totally sure why, but I have always been drawn to androgynous names. I have liked Rowan since I was 13 or so. Maybe they just sound cool and modern and refreshing to me. Why do you like the style of names that you like?

Well, I'm not going to add Rhys or Asa to my list after the mostly negative feedback. Asa is a great name, but the religious vibes it gives off make me nervous. And I get that Rhys might just be too masculine, especially in the UK. Maybe it's just not sleek enough too.

August is definitely added though. It's another name I've liked for a really long time, since 3rd Rock from the Sun was on. There was a character on the show named August and she was a hippie feminist radical chick. And she dated my celebrity boyfriend, Joseph Gordon Levitt.

I LOVE August for you. I think it's a genuinely unisex name and am surprised to hear people say it's "all boy." It's hard for me to see word names as gendered. In my opinion, Augustus would be all boy and Augusta is SO all girl...like down-home, Georgia peach, sugar and syrup and rot-your-teeth-out sweet tea kind of frilly pink girl. But August is perfect. It conjures images of the Appalachian mountains in the autumn, like the sun set into the trees and lit them on fire. I love it. August and Rowan are darling together.

Regardless of the Rhys vs. Reese gendered spelling debate, I dislike the Rhys and Rowan sibset. They are quite matchy, and I do think of the peanut butter cups. Have you considered Emrys? It has always struck me as quite feminine sounding, and the look and feel are similar to Rhys...I also love the Merlin connection (for that matter, I secretly love Merlin on a girl, but would never EVER use it).

I don't think Asa is a stretch at all, especially given the Ada's and Ava's of the world. Asher works beautifully, why not Asa? I don't find it overtly religious either, as the Biblical Asa is a more obscure character. I do think it's become quite trendy in religious circles to choose an obscure Bible name, making all the obscure names quite popular and common. So I echo the earlier sentiments that an Asa or an Asher may grow up with peers who come from devout families who will question your choice. I would assume that's something you're prepared to live with if you decided on one of these names.

Trying to remember some of your middle name options. August Ofelia sends me swooning! Asa Faye is sleek, smart, and sassy. August Cordelia is lovely, but seems a little syllable-heavy next to the sleeker Rowan Jane. Asa Marian also makes me quite happy. There's just something so evocative about Marian/Marion, all tangly-rooted cypress trees and festoons of Spanish moss...

I love where you're heading with these new additions!
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Ender _____ ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Fawn or Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ and second-guessing River Selene

GPs
    Cirina Wryn, Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Parthenia Nyx, Astoria, Illyria, Gwyneira, Farasha, Serafina, Senara, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Hawthorne, Kenshin, Bastion, Remiel, Atreyu

Oh wow, several new posts while I was typing my book, lol. Ah well, more feedback never hurts, right? Glad to hear August made the cut!!
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Ender _____ ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Fawn or Ophelia Wren ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ and second-guessing River Selene

GPs
    Cirina Wryn, Narnia Rose, Luna Seraphine, Parthenia Nyx, Astoria, Illyria, Gwyneira, Farasha, Serafina, Senara, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Hawthorne, Kenshin, Bastion, Remiel, Atreyu