Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I actually love August for a girl! I know it is traditionally a male name but it feels feminine to me. Asa does strike me as religious, I'm not really a fan of it for either gender. Rhys to me is also feminine but I don't automatically think of Reese Witherspoon.
    Andie - Mama to John, Thomas, Isla, Freya and Marigold (12/30/14).

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    Actually, I think these are great for you! Rhys/Reese is already fairly accepted as unisex (although I think a lot of people assume that Reese = girl; Rhys = boy now, but maybe not really), and August is a month. I suppose it's derived from Augustus, but so is Augusta, so technically, it's pretty safe, I think. I used to have a cyber buddy who had a daughter named August Elizabeth--I thought it was so cool at the time! And Rowan and August are lovely together.

Asa I feel a little bit differently about--it's a name from my faith and I tend to be increasingly defensive about my faith, but I can see the appeal. Asa sounds similar to Ava and Ada, so it doesn't surprise me that eventually someone would want to use it for a girl. But I am not fond of Josiah, Ezra, or Judah on a girl--and I like Asa on a girl pretty much just as much. I think it could really work for you, though.

For combos, do you still have the same MNs? I think Asa Eleanor, Asa Cordelia, August Ruby, and Rhys Cordelia would be lovely.

ETA: Just to be clear, I have no problem with an atheist (or agnostic, or whatever) using a Biblical name. They're people from history. They're not gods, they are people who walked the earth, and a lot of them had some pretty stinkin' amazing names. I might think it a bit odd if an atheist used a very Christian-charged word as their child's name, like Christian, Mercy, Grace, Evangeline, etc., but I wouldn't get offended. If I met an agnostic or atheist couple who had two sons named Asa Nathaniel and Philip Ezra, I wouldn't say anything, or really be offended at all. They're nice names, and people can get inspiration anywhere. I'm certainly not the only one to lay claim on Bible names. I love them myself; I can see why people would want to use them. I think my problem with seeing Ezra, Asa, Josiah, etc. on girls is that it feels like the history of the name (not to mention the history of the Bible) isn't being respected itself. Do I like Cohen? Yes, but I'm not a Jew, and if they find it offensive, I'm not going to touch it. That's their culture, their religion, and I respect their right to what they believe. Likewise, I wouldn't use the name of a Hindu god. I think in a world where everyone seems to think and say to define your own truth, what others believe isn't respected so much. I think there are still some things that are holy, and I think, even if you don't subscribe to those teachings, it's commendable to respect what someone else finds holy. Meh, take it or leave it. I don't expect people to respect everything I hold holy, but I think it's nice to see people from other faiths respecting faiths that are not their own. Religion matters to people, and that's not just Christians--that's everyone. I think it's important to consider, but ultimately, of course, it's up to you.

Okay, I'm done. That was a bit long-winded, and maybe a mite selfish, but I hope it didn't come across preachy, anyhow.
    I respect other people. I am a compassionate and empathetic person, I believe everyone has core human rights and I fight for those rights. Everyone should have the right to believe how they want to believe and not be persecuted, singled out, or forced to believe other things. I do not however respect Religion itself. All religions. I think religion is the #1 reason progress is stalled in this world, and very devout people can do horrific, inhumane things in the name of their god. And the belief in things that are scientifically nonsensical and mythology that is taken literally, I just can't wrap my head around it.

Anyway... yes, the middles are the same.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I quite like August. Rhys is okay, although I do see it as a male name with that spelling.

As to Asa, it's not my favourite, though I agree it has a feminine feel. As a Christian, I don't find it at all offensive, but I echo the sentiments of @loisvs that having an obscure biblical name would make many people assume you were evangelical Christians. For example, in my church, I know more Josiahs than I can count, two Ashers over the age of 20, and other obscure biblical names like Ne.koda (boy) and Ket.urah. I just don't see names like Asa outside the church, although perhaps some of these names are more common overall in the "Bible belt" parts of the US. Since you are atheists, you may want to take that into account, just as a couple considering the name Arwen will need to be aware that many will assume they are big LOTR fans.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Asa is absolutely fine. In Scandinavia the similar sounding Åsa (and Åse) is a girl name. I can't see how using Asa could offend people, if it does, they should get a life.

August is a month so I have no problems with this one. It's actually quite in the same league as Rowan to me. Well, maybe not, as I see Rowan as strictly male, but when I try to see it from an American perspective... it works.

As you know, I'm very supportive and in awe your naming style. I find it utterly fascinating the way you find traditionally masculine name that would work so well for a girl, and I think you are very clever about it. Rhys however is so male. And not in a pretty Jude Law-ish kind of way, no, in a I cut down trees with my own hands and use a rock as a pillow, wear my shirt half open to show off all my chest hair and eat my porridge with a serving spoon kind of way. Über masculine.
    Haha! Thank you for that vivid image. I very much appreciate your opinion and being a Brit, I do value the feedback because I love the UK so much and want to visit again with my children in the future. I don't want to cause a scene with my child's name and be the "wacky American."

Thanks Ottilie.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    1 August - I think August is fine for a girl (although I do prefer it on a boy). Singer Garth Brooks seems to think so too because he has a daughter named August Anna. Rowan and August look and sound good together.

2 Asa - this is very Biblical for me and all male. Personally, I don't like male Biblical names being used for girls but that's just my preference. The "a" ending may make the name "look" more feminine but I believe you said you didn't like names ending in "a". So if you don't like them, why is Asa even an option for you? Or maybe it's just feminine names ending in "a" that you don't care for. I don't understand why a male name ending in "a" is any different.

3 Rhys - this spelling is ALL-MALE which would cause confusion when written out. Also, I don't like the shared initial between Rowan and Rhys.
    I don't usually like "ends with -a" names, but there are a few exceptions to the rule. I think it's because Asa manages to still sound sleek and modern while still ending in an -a. I also like Luca for the same reason.