Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    They're all male names for me and I find it difficult to recommend using typically male names on a girl, because I have one and it has been a hassle all my life.

August is the only one I could kind of see on a girl. I really like it and Asa, but would only use them on a boy.
    Mum to Mousie, Foo, Bumptious and Pudding.

Apart from the matchy R sounds with Rhys, I think I like it the best of the new options. It is a bit more male on the spelling, ala Jonathan Rhys Meyers. But he's irish. And I'm a fan of grouping backgrounds for kids names. And boys names on girls don't bother me one bit as you know
    Asa confuses me. I'm not 100% on the pronunciation. Either way, I tend to stay far away from christian names in general.
    August is ok. It's not my favorite month name.
    All-in-all none of these beat out your other choices so far for me.
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~

I never thought Asa was overly religious, he's not a major player in the bible like Abraham or Moses.

Also Asa is used in other cultures for girls, and it has an entirely different etymology than the male biblical character. For me personally, this negates the argument that it's too religious and the argument that it's a 'boy' name only to be used on boys.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    I don't want to start a religious debate, but you have to understand how atheists feel when every name is based in a religion or cultural belief at some point in it's existence. Rowan was a magical tree that was worshiped and used in spells by the Druids and still revered in Wicca and Paganism, so should I not of used it because I might offend Pagans? I respect the Bible as a historical document. Why are all Christian names off limits when I could easily use a name from Egyptian or Persian mythology and no one would care?
    I never said all Christian names are off limits. However, I do think the more recently popular names like Asa, Asher, Silas, etc. scream "biblical" while classics like John, Jacob, etc. are just that, classics (although I find an atheist named Mary to be kind of amusing).

Basically, this:

Quote Originally Posted by loisvs
    I am a Christian and I don't feel offended by your interest in using Asa, Asher, or Silas, whether because you're an atheist or because you want to use them for a girl. (In fact, I know one girl Asher, from a religious family, too.) But I will warn you that these are very popular amongst my (fairly devout) circles of friends in the US, along the lines of Josiah, Judah, Elijah, etc, but a bit newer and fresher. I know of at least 4 Ashers under 5 years old and 2 or 3 Asas and maybe 3 Silases as well. ALL of whose parents are on the devout side of religious, not just Christian-background or something. So, my type of people may assume you are "one of us" and if that's something you want to steer clear of, be forewarned.

Also, for many people, there will be a much stronger religious/Biblical association than, say, Matthew, John or Paul, just because these are "newer"/more unusual names. Yes, many haven't heard them before and will have no association--but I would guess that MOST of the those who have heard them before will make the Biblical association.
    Also, when I said that I dislike it when people take names from my religion, I meant that they take the names from the bible and use it on another gender.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    I don't want to start a religious debate, but you have to understand how atheists feel when every name is based in a religion or cultural belief at some point in it's existence. Rowan was a magical tree that was worshiped and used in spells by the Druids and still revered in Wicca and Paganism, so should I not of used it because I might offend Pagans? I respect the Bible as a historical document. Why are all Christian names off limits when I could easily use a name from Egyptian or Persian mythology and no one would care?
    Well, I think few Iranians care about their own mythology anymore... However, the few Zoroastrians out there might be offended if you did that. I actually love Sorab for a girl, but I would never do it... both out of respect and because my in-laws would mock her. And I never intended to ignite such a debate, but instead just to say that there is a certain degree of sensitivity required when dealing with a culture that is not your own. Having grown up in the Bible Belt, I know many male Asas, and I know that Asa was a king in the Bible... While it might not offend some, it would certainly offend others... that's the nature of religion and culture... not all interpret it the same way. However, for the record, I was with a group of Muslims last night, and I did inquire as to what they would think if you named your son Aisha or your daughter Mohammed. They all agreed that you don't need to be a Muslim to use those names, but the gender-swapping elicited responses from "I'd think you were crazy" to just being offended I'd suggested it. I don't think it's an issue to use a religious name when you are not religious... but if you are going to swap genders, how will that be viewed by members of that culture? I do think a certain degree of respect and P.C. are called for... but feel free to disagree. This is simply something to consider before giving such a name.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina