Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

pronunciation of Thalia?

Hi everyone! I have been loving the name Thalia lately but I'm not sure how to pronounce it. I have heard TAHL-ee-uh, THAL-ee-uh, TAY-lee-uh, and THAY-lee-uh. So two questions: how would you pronounce it and is there one "right" way?
    Sweet Ladies:
    Elanor Therese ~ Rose Clementine ~ Elizabeth Gloria ~ Abilene Cecilia
    Lucy Magdalene ~ Susannah Violet ~ Caroline Mercy ~ Elsa Evangeline ~ Rosemary Luthien

Gallant Gents:
    Timothy Faramir ~ William Augustine ~ Percy Maximilian
    Calvin Anthony ~ John Paul Atticus

I pronounce it like "TAL(rhymes with pal)-ee-uh". But I hear "TALL-ee-uh" just as often as I hear the way I would say it. I don't think there is a right pronunciation(not in the modern world anyways!) So, basically, I didn't help you at all...haha!
    Boys: Maxwell, Bennett, Oliver, Elliott and Archer.

Girls: Rose, Juliet, Aria, Cora and Scarlett

Sorry for any random spellings. I'm probably on my nook!

I also pronounce it like TAL-ee-ah.

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    I new a girl who pronounced it ta-LEE-a. Her family was from Mexico, so I assume it was a Spanish pronunciation. I'm not sure there is a "right way" to pronounce it, because, like you, I've heard it lots of different ways. I say pick the one you like best.
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe

I've been trying to figure this out as well! I've looked everywhere and it seems like there isn't a definitive (or even a prominent) pronunciation. The name's so unique that I think you can just decide your favorite pronunciation and go with it. I've read a few sources that say the original Greek pronunciation is thuh-LIE-uh, but I don't hear that near as often as THAHL-ee-uh or TAHL-ee-uh. It's gorgeous whichever pronunciation you choose!
    Felicity ~ Calista ~ Claudia ~ Beatrice "Betty" ~ Carlotta ~ Millie ~ Cora ~ Audrey ~ Violet

Calvin ~ Jude ~ Miles ~ Oliver ~ Roscoe ~ Benjamin ~ Leo ~ Adrian ~ Isaac ~ Colin

Please rate my namelist! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9831814