Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I was using behindthename.com to find out about names. I found nameberry through a google search and I didn't get an account for a while but i really like it now. There is a lot more diversity here my name for example on behind the name is considered: 1). It is not a name, 2). It screams ghetto, 3). It also screams as an "alter-ego" to a showgirl or such. or what about this sophisticated comment: It's a very pretty name. I don't think it works on white people. It so blatantly makes people think of black, after all. Certainly beats tacky ghetto-ish bastardizations of Arabic and African names. But a black girl named Ebony had better not speak Ebonics. That could lead to bullying in a predominantly white school. or this: This name is tacky and trashy. No offense, but I just can't picture it on a white girl. It sounds more like the name of a black girl in the ghetto who yells a lot. It started to annoy me so I looked for different sites. Here it is more diverse and even though there is a certain style even if you like the name Maddison Nevaeh no one will tell you that its a ghetto name or that it screams showgirl.
    〜Ebs〜
    Isobel*Eloise*Matilda*Alice*Eleanor*Amelia*Elena* Mirabel* Felicity* Phoebe*Tallaulah*Eilidh*Rosalia*Roisin*Azalea*Elsa *
    Eamon*Tiago*Cooper*Jack*Jago*Flynn*Archer*Lincoln* Asher*Alfie*Taylor* Finnian* Baxter* Lawson*Jasper*Deacon*Lewis*
    babynameobsessed.wordpress.com

I found nameberry.com about 3 years ago when a friend of the family's son was born. I loved all the lists of names and found it very helpful to give them some ideas.

I didn't sign up until last year but I used to read through the forums and I loved how nice you berries are and give such hood feedback and opinions.

Through nb I've fallen in love with other names that I never thought I would like.

My family think I'm obsessed because I talk about names I find here all the time.
    for every dark night, there is a brighter day

Quote Originally Posted by lemon View Post
    What I like most about NB is the conversational quality you can have with other people about topics we all enjoy - and it doesn't have to end on the thread. Back a few years ago when NB was a smaller beast, and Susan and Jane were still around, and all the posters seemed to "know" each other, we were a little happy family. Now, there's a little more input, a little more head butting, and maybe a few more kinks in the system, but I think NB Forums are on their way to creating that nice big family everyone is after, even if the annoying little sister comes a'lurking every once in a while (we still love her).
    Lemon - you are so right!

As for me, NB is an easy forum to fall in love with - even if you are past the baby-naming stage. Having been a name-lover for so long, it is nice to come to a site where you can give other people advice about names, or just talk about names and their history.
    Last edited by kyemsma; June 23rd, 2013 at 01:53 PM.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Anna & Jack, Caroline & James, Catherine & Luke, Claire & Liam, Maeve & Patrick

People in other forums tended towards generic trendy or overused names. I also didn't like how everyone thought it was more unique and original to misspell a name (Kennidi, Olyviya, Elissabith etc.), then to look for names that were actually unique and original and underused. I liked discovering new names from different countries and eras on this site and I like that the forums here have smart and mature people, more willing to help you choose middle names, good flows, less used alternatives etc.
    ~Ladies~ Francesca*Penelope*Clara*Perla*Mirabella*Mia*Adeli na*Anya*Karina*Georgiana*Flora
    ~Gentlemen~ Roman*Deacon*Florian*Theodore*Felix*Dominic*Sebast ian*Luca*Duncan*Fabian*Bodhi*Pascal*Levi

There are other naming forums?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...