Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Ethel TOO old-fashioned still?

I have recently been pondering the name Ethel. I like it, but my only reservation would be it possibly being too outdated.

PRO's
    I do know a girl in her early twenties named this and I liked it on her.
    Lily Allen had a baby girl by this name, so it may be able to make a revival.

CON's
    Well, it is my great-great grandmother's name so that does make it seem very old.

What do you think - is Ethel able to be used, or is it not yet ready to come back?
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them

It still sounds really old to me.

Plus, I also don't like it because its similar to Ethyl (which makes me think of chemistry too much).

Personally, I think it's on the line, but probably pretty close...it really depends on your overall naming style. I mean, there are little girls (nameberry babies included) being named Agnes, Mabel, and Edith right now, and I think Ethel is right in there with that group.

It's definitely more out there than Lila, Charlotte, Olivia, and the other more popular revival names. And it might depend a lot on where you live. EG, if you live in Oregon or NY it's probably easier to get away with than if you live in Nebraska...

I don't mind that it's old, but I find it insipid. Sorry.

It's cringe worthy to me. Sorry
    -Alexis-
    teen berry