Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have been pregnant and nursed and tandemed on many occasions. Seb and Wolfie are the only newborns that I ever nursed w/o somebody else nursing too. I highly recommend the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing, it was a great resource when I got pregnant when Seb was 10 months old and decided to allow him to continue to nurse as he wanted to do so. I am also here if you need any advice or hugs, its not for everyone but if you decide to do it having somebody who has "been there done that" to talk to really does help. I had my mamas at LLL to talk to when I first went down that road and am so happy I did. It worked for us, but doesnt work for everyone and knowing your limits is key of course. Best of luck!
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

I haven't read all the replies so sorry if I repeat others. I am breastfeeding my 3 year old and in the process of slowly weaning her. Partly to aid conceiving #2 and partly because I don't want to tandem feed (fine for other people but I have breastfeeding aversion and don't think I could handle feeding two).
    I found cutting down one feed at a time really worked if I was consistent. I tell her when she can next have milk, offer cuddles and other food/drink in case she is hungry or thirsty. I also make sure I sleep with a bra on! I had tried cutting down before but quickly backed off when she started crying and getting upset. However, being really compassionate but consistent has worked - we are now down to one feed in the mornings and sometimes she skips a day.

Others have probably said it but it is common for your milk supply to tank, especially around the 16 week point of pregnancy, so she may wean herself.
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

These are such helpful and thoughtful answers, thank you!

@jemama I will be ordering that book ASAP! I think my biggest issue with tandem is how it effects the kiddos. I'm ok with it but I see my toddler not sharing mommy well and obviously the newborn would be the priority. Maybe she would surprise me....

@milasmom sleeping with a bra on is brilliant! Maybe in her sleepy state she would give up with a little less access. I will be trying that. Thank you!

Bronwen was my chunkiest baby to date, so "sharing" her milk did not hurt her in the least. I've always had an amazing supply though even now while nursing one, but the large majority of mamas will make enough milk for both so do not worry! I am trying to remember what I did (it wasn't *that* long along that I was nursing a newborn and a toddler but seems that way since I haven't done it for a while) but I know that "taking turns" was a good thing to establish with the older one (I was never a fan of having them latched on at the same time, it felt "icky" to me and made me very touched out, not like this for everyone but was for me so I avoided it) and I cannot remember any problems with the older having fits over not getting their "turn". Enjoy that book, my good friend Aislinn is mentioned a few times and quoted.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)