Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Naming Female Protagonist - something like Charlotte, Marguerite, Genevieve...

A writer friend has charged me with the task of helping her find a name for her female protagonist.

Setting is 1700s England, but with a fantasy element. (Think more Harry Potter than Game of Thrones.)
    The character will have dark hair and fair skin, but I don't know anything else about her physical appearance. She's had a traumatic childhood, but is resilient, and has grand ambitions to change the world for the better.

Right now, Charlotte is the "place-holder" name but not THE name. Other names my friend really likes and that are close to the target are Marguerite, Genevieve, Serena, and Jessamine.

This name would have been chosen by her dying mother, who ended up named Jessamine, but the name remains a secret during her childhood.

Other names that have been culled:

Adelaide
    Araminta
    Artemesia
    Augusta
    Aurelia
    Blythe
    Calixta
    Carys
    Cassia
    Cosima
    Deirdre
    Dominica
    Dulcinea
    Elspeth
    Estelle / Estella
    Flora
    Fortunata
    Genevieve
    Lavender
    Lavinia
    Lyra
    Marguerite*
    Mirabel
    Natalya
    Raffaella
    Ramona
    Sabine
    Saskia
    Serena
    Tempest
    Verity

What names do the Berries suggest? I feel like I'm running out of ideas. TIA!
    Current loves:
    Adelaide | Antonia | Benedetta | Capucine | Charlotte | Cosima | Estelle | Marguerite | Saskia | Susannah | Viola | Wilhelmina
    Alaric | Anton | Bennett | Boone | Caspian | Francis | Gideon | Judah | Leo | Theodore | Vincent | Winslow

I really, really like Lucille or Lucinda for this character. But here are some more suggestions if these don't cut it for you.

Florence
    Candace
    Yara
    Minerva
    Blanche
    Genevieve
    Agatha
    Agnes
    Enid
    Georgia
    Virginia
    Elisabetta
    Mabel
    Ruth
    Rue
    Primrose
    Beatrix
    Emlyn
    Mariah
    Una
    Uma
    Rosalina
    Mary
    Calliope
    Ellis
    Henrietta

These are all I could think of at the moment, I hope the fit and help.

I love Charlotte for this character too. It's strong and feminine. I love that I'm not the only author on here too
    You could go for a striking name like Scarlet or Violet, or a softer one like Caroline. Caroline is a bit more modern but when you think of strong and feminine finding a name for this fantasy story and time period... well, it can be hard to balance which is why I'd go back to Charlotte. Names like Bridgit or Lia can also work too, in all their variations.

Hope these do more helping then stressing!
    -Katy

Scarlet Meredith
    Coraline Anastasia . Helena Roxanne . Luna Helene
    GP✨ Callisto Arabella . Sansa Vesper

✧✨✧🌙 ✧✨✧
    Laurence Victor "Law"
    Asa Caspian . Casper Jude . Leo Caspian
    GP✨ Caspian Altair . Casper Valentine

Ooh, I'm loving the suggestions so far. I'm going to compile a massive list to send to her and see what she thinks.

Other additions?
    Current loves:
    Adelaide | Antonia | Benedetta | Capucine | Charlotte | Cosima | Estelle | Marguerite | Saskia | Susannah | Viola | Wilhelmina
    Alaric | Anton | Bennett | Boone | Caspian | Francis | Gideon | Judah | Leo | Theodore | Vincent | Winslow