Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help choosing between two names

Our son is due in July and we have finally narrowed down our name list to two!

Maxwell- have a little concern that it's "going to the dogs", but love the full name and that it leads to nickname "Max"

Asher- love the sound and meaning, would prefer to use the full name, but ok with it being shortened to "Ash

I also loved Jack (but wanted a more complete sounding name), Samuel (too popular), Noah (way too popular, and also lacks full name/nickname), and Elliot (lacks nickname), but at the risk of driving my husband batty, I've agreed to let go of those and focus on our top two. (And clearly I've fully let go as evidenced by my including them here.)

Which do you prefer?

I adore Max, but don't love Maxwell as much. I also really like Asher and agree it wins in the meaning category. I think Ash is a pretty cool nickname, but you could go either way with Asher, whereas Maxwell will probably always be Max. My vote is for Asher!
    Cora Madeleine | Gwyneth Rosalie | Hazel Matilda | Margot Eliza | Sylvie Miranda | Vivienne Esme
    Archer Daniel | Emmett Sebastian | Ezra Donovan | Jasper Felix | Leo Vincent | Rhys Anderson

I love Asher... Max is so common, and is kinda going to the dogs. Asher has a great meaning, and I only know 1 young Asher... and he's adorable. It also reminds me of Chaim Potok's "My Name is Asher Lev."
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I love both names so it really depends how each of them flow with your surname. Lots of human names are given to dogs so I wouldn't worry too much (as long as you don't have or know one named Max or Maxwell). If you would rather NOT divulge your last name, just let us some information like: what initial it starts with, a word it rhymes with, how many syllables, how it ends etc...anything that can help us decide between the two names. For example, if your surname is Turner, then Maxwell Turner would sound better than the repetitive Asher Turner.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I agree with mischa.

Whichever one goes well with your last name would be my pick...
    I like both names.... Maxwell reminds me of a strong man and Asher reminds me of tranquility ( I don't know the actual meanings of them lol) but id have to say I favor Asher a liiiittttle bit more