Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lucialucentum View Post
    I agree with this 100%
    I think location and social circles will change what names are popular (to an individual) and which are not.
    This is my thinking, as well. I work with children, so I hear a ton of different names almost every day. My name is Sarah and a lot of people still think it's still too popular. While it was popular when I was a kid it's not near as popular now where I live. I know more Shana/Shanna's, Sarah's, Hannah's, Katie's, etc than I do Sarah's. I've met at least 10 Sophia's under the age of 3. So it is popular here.

Regardless of popularity, if I have loved a name for years and no other name can make me like others more then that's the name I'd use.
    Fave girl combos: Anneliese Margueritte
    Fave boy combos: Benjamin Douglas nn Benji/Ben, Jackson Alexander, Josiah Joseph nn JoJo, Malachi Ry-something

Girls: Beza, Thea, Ada, Jovie, Asha, Lucy, Zia, Elise, Gianna nn Gigi, Camille, Quinn,
    Boys: Tobin nn Toby, Soren, William nn Will, Nicholas, Camden, Jameson, Elijah nn Eli, Caleb, Jacob, Thomas nn Tommy, Samuel nn Sam/Sammy, Brady, Jeremiah, Andrew, August, Jonas, Mojave

When I was at school my name was very unusual despite it being scottish and living in Scotland. I was used to having to spell it and pronounce it all the time. I am in my mid thirties and its now #5 in Scotland and v popular in the rest of the uk. My son has two in his nursery!
    I have a tendency to lean towards the classic names but would not use Sophie, Eva or Olivia as the are several in our area that I know of. I loved Eve but I heard it called out in play parks and shops so frequently when pregnant that it put me off. I didn't want my kids to be known as Olivia T! We chose an unusual name for our on but went with Elizabeth for our daughter. Elizabeth is always in the top 100 but I have never met a child called Elizabeth. Beth and Eliza as full names but not Elizabeth. It tends to be more if a middle name to honour family. I am pretty confident she'll be the only one in her lass if not school.

I have to wonder, does the OP work with small children? Because I do, and I run into repeat names ALL THE TIME. Namely: Makenzie, Madelynn, and Jayden. Maybe only 1% of girls in 2012 were named Sophia, but what about 2011, 2010, and in years to come? That adds up! While she may be the only Sohpia in her class, there may be 5 other Sophia's or Sophie's running around the lunchroom.

Here are my feelings on the math. Last year, there were 469 little Emma's born in my state. That's a lot for a state of its size! The odds of having another Sophia in her class/immediate age group seem relatively high, especially if you live in a heavily populated area.

Frankly, anyone who thinks they can name their child something in the top 10 and believes they probably won't run into another one is sorely mistaken, baed on several years experience in public schools. If this doesn't bother you, then that's one thing. But if you're going into it thinking Sophia, Isabella, or Olivia are "safe, original" choices, you're going to be in for a surprise.

Rant over! Also keep in mind that my perspective is from someone named Ashley in the 80s. I have a huge chip on my shoulder about popular names, which might slightly border on irrational hatred.... I'm aware of my problem and am actively seeking help! (LOL.)
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Eve, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora, Fawn
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Casper, Leopold

I don't necessarily mind there being two of a name in the room. You can't prevent it. I have an extremely rare name (peaked at 950 in 1965), and I still run into other Brigids once every few years. (And more Bridgets, Brigittes, Bridgettes, etc.) That's okay.

I don't think we'll have problems like when every third little girl seemed to be named Jessica or Jennifer or Ashley. I like older Greek-ish names like Althea and Philothea, as well as simple names like Anne and Mary, and saints' names. But since my friends often overlap with me in naming taste, chances are at some point I'll become friends/acquaintances with a person who's already named their little Anne when she meets me and mine.
    Some names that are increasing in popularity are family names for me, like Pearl as a middle. That's okay, and it's not something you can control. Even if you make up a whole new name for your baby, you can't prevent anyone else from coming up with it independently, or copying it.

I'm less picky about boys' names. I'm still hesitant about top-10, unless they have strong personal meaning or an unusual nickname (Cole for Nicholas, Ike for Isaac, etc), but I wasn't as sad to see Isaac and Henry get popular as I was to see Emma and Eleanor rise or Rose as a middle. I'd really loved Emma and Eleanor, and I doubt I'll use either unless I'm honoring someone.

Edit: Actually, upon rereading Eleanor in 2012 was less popular than Alice and just one above Clara, which both still feel perfectly usable. Lillian is apparently #25, and I'd thought it was still rare! Goes to show that what's locally popular, what's nationally popular, and what feels popular are all very different things.
    Last edited by brigid16; June 20th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

I think people consider popularity entirely too much. This is what causes naming trends! A previously uncommon name is used somewhere, people hear about it and go "Oh, that's uncommon. I think I'll name my kid that." Little do they know everyone else is thinking the same thing. Like Isabella from Twilight.
    And then there are the "kre8tyve" spelling people who think what they're doing is unique, but again everyone else had the same idea. These parents truly don't realize there are a million little boys named Aidan/Brayden/Cayden/Kaden/Jaiden/etc. running around because everyone they knew in school was named Chris or Matt or Josh.
    You also can't control whether or not your child will know another kid with their name, even if you pick something uncommon. Two years ago I taught a kindergarten class with a Quinton and a Quentin in it. No one's going to argue that that's a common name, but they still ended up in the same class.
    If a name is popular, but you love it, use it. You shouldn't let that ruin it for you. If everyone decides Sophia is too common and names their daughter Persephone instead, Persephone will become too common.