Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for unusual and unique names for a little girl...

Hello there,

My fiance and I are looking for unusual names for the baby we're having August 1. My first name is Cricket, so I can't exactly name my child "Mary". Ideally, I'd like my daughter to have a name that is unique and unusual but still pronounceable, and something that other kids can only make obvious jokes with. As a young child I definitely got teased a fair amount, but I learned to deal with the jokes and by grade 5 there was nothing new that anyone could do--I'd heard every joke already. Now I love my name and the fact that people remember me easily... it's great for conversation and in job interviews, too.

I really like Cinderlee (a combination of my late mother's first and middle names) or Ember-lyn, but I'd love to hear some new suggestions and opinions! It'd be best if the first name went well with Katherine or Brianne as a middle name. Our last name starts with R. My fiance seems to prefer names that are almost traditional but are still uncommon (he really likes Enid--I hate it)

Thanks everyone

I think I might be missing something. Why can't you use a common name just because yours is unique?

Cinderlee looks way too made up and reminds me a lot of Cinderella, which literally means "little ashes" and isn't suitable as a name on a real person at all. Cinderlee also brings to mind cinder blocks.

I don't care for Ember-lyn but Ember is a lot nicer than Ember-lyn (or even Emberlyn).

Some suggestions:

Jocasta
    Acacia
    Aenor
    Agnes
    Agatha
    Albina
    Gaia
    Giselle
    Laelia
    Octavia
    Ophelia
    Sabina
    Xanthe
    Zenobia
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Congratulations on your daughter!

Of your two creations, I think Emberlyn is much better than Cinderlee (which looks like a bad Cinderella knockoff), despite the increased personal significant of Cinderlee (is your mom Cindy/Cynthia Lee?) However, Emberlyn will fade into a sea of similar girls' names-- -lyn is the ultimate trendy ending nowadays, and Amber/Ember/Emery/Avery is also a popular cluster of sounds. What I mean is that even though not many girls are named Emberlyn, it won't be nearly as memorable as Cricket.

"Unique" can encompass a huge variety of styles. Here's a random sampling from different corners of the name style universe; see which ones you're most drawn to and we can suggest more from there.

Nature-related

Lark
    Rowan
    Amaryllis
    Clover
    Aspen
    Meadow

Exotic

Dimitra
    Amabel
    Charis
    Ksenia
    Esme
    Ianthe
    Leilani
    Solange
    Viva
    Zora

Modern

Ainsley
    Kaia
    Tiana
    Auden
    Liadan
    Rhian
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

frontrunners:
    Jane Cosima | Jude Caspian

considering;
    Fiona*Thea*Gwyneth*Alice*Evangeline*Bridget*Lucy*M aren*Faye*Rosalind*Naomi
    {middle names}Lotus~Athena~Annika~Eleanor
    {honor middles}Florence~Constance~Lorraine
    Oren*Lars*Bram*Griffin*Nolan*Otis*Dylan*River*Pier ce*Asher*Rhett
    {middle names}Drake~Caspian~Caius~Penn
    {honor middles}Wolf~Edward/Edmund~August

⛄️🎄⛄️🎄⛄️🎄⛄️🎄⛄️🎄 ⛄️🎄⛄️🎄⛄️🎄
    Carly Beth
    | married 5.17.14 |