Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Seeking sisters for Atlas

(I originally posted this in the Baby Names forum but didn't get any responses, so I thought I might as well try my luck here.)

One step closer to actual baby-making: I spent the weekend with a dear friend who has agreed to be my donor once I finish graduate school. After continuing our ongoing discussion about the process and various legalities, our conversation turned to names. He vetoed most of my favorites (Wallace, Roscoe, Eloise, Juniper), but when I mentioned Atlas his eyes lit up. Dude loves Atlas. He was rapturous about Atlas. He also liked Hector and Odin for a boy (which go perfectly with Atlas) and Matilda for a girl (not so much).

And therein lies the rub: there are plenty of boys' names that sound right with powerful, punchy Atlas, but most girls' names seem weaksauce in comparison. The only name I can think of that I love and which works with a mythology theme is Freya, but as bad luck would have it, Freya rhymes with my own name. Thea, another possibility, rhymes with a common alternate pronunciation of my name. Argh!

I tend to prefer short, spunky, feminine names with connections to literature and (particularly Medieval and Renaissance) history, like Jane, Iris, and Alice. I also love nature names like Juniper and Marigold and hipster darlings like Eloise and Sylvie. I have an enduring affection for Sailor, Vesper, and Marlowe. My concern is that none of my favorites sound right with Atlas because they're too frilly or not strong and mythic enough.

But I love Atlas, and so does the probable future father of my child! Should I abandon the idea of sibset cohesion and pair Atlas with Jane or Marlowe or Sylvie? Or should I be concerned that next to a brother named Atlas those names would sound, well, weak? What would YOU name sisters to Atlas?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Here are a few names I think would go well as a sister to Atlas:

Olena
    Isadora
    Almira
    Genevra/Geneva
    Lavinia
    Calliope
    Imogen
    Zinnia
    Laurel
    Verity
    Elodie
    Dahlia
    Lida
    Aurelia
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

favorite names this week: Jane Cosima & Lars Augustus

Tempest
    Hesper
    Tess
    Rhea
    Vivian
    Miranda
    Irene

From your list I think Vesper and Iris go well with Atlas.

Hey!
    Your journey sounds an interesting one!
    Here are some girls names I like with Atlas:
    Atlas and Thea or Thalia or Freya (They are great-sorry)!
    Atlas and Vespera
    Atlas and Cleo or Clio (LOVE)
    Atlas and Phoebe
    Atlas and Lola
    Atlas and Nieva