Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Your thoughts on breaking the naming "Rules"? PLEASE!!

So anyone who hangs out on nameberry long enough knows the rules that most name-nerds tend to fall back on when choosing a favorite name for someone else or giving advice to someone with a different style than our own: contrasting syllable count (3-1-2, 2-3-1, 2-1-3, 4-3-2), letter/sound variation (separate similar sounds and letters, no alliterations, variant endings), nothing too theme heavy (don't double up nature, color, literary, heavily historical, place, or word names), gender clarity (at least one gender defining name in a set), and less so but still obvious from the polls and advice I see given: "freshness" over past popularity (Cassia > Christine, Sebastian > Stephan, Penelope > Patricia, Ezra > Eric).

BUT what about the names you love that don't follow the rules for your last name?? Would you use a name you LOVE over one that follows "the rules"? Are some rules more breakable than others to you? DID YOU break any of these rules while naming? Do you have kids yet; did you follow the rules; are you happy with the name or names you ended up going with? Does your name follow "the rules" and how does that shape your naming plans? Please share!!

My name is 2-2-2 AND the stress is on the first syllable for all of them, but I still think it flows well. Plus, the only people who care about this type of thing are other name nerds.
    Previous account: elrock13

Honestly, treat the "rules" like guidelines and name your babies what you want.

I think that the "rules" are generally helpful. If used correctly, I think that they guide one to the best choice in MOST cases. But someone told me that there were rules against using Marlowe on a girl because the -o ending sound was predominantly male. This is true, but I love the name, so it's still on my list.
    So...I think that the rules are good to think about, but they're not set in stone. If you love something that goes against the rules, then screw the rules.
    ♂ Ellis Christopher / Asher Estlin / Seth Joshua / Gordon Thomas / Russell Joseph ♂
    ♀ Marilyn Kay / Joanna Kathryn / Tessa Diane / Nola Elaine / Christine Ruby ♀

I think the rules are nice suggestions, but kind of ridiculous to actually live by. I think my middle name is used about once a year, and I don't even know the middle names of most people I know. So it really doesn't matter if the flow is off, and plenty of people have awkward first-last combos or out-of-style names and have never suffered for it.
    I would choose a name based on meaning, or how much I liked it- I definitely don't set rules for myself, aside from avoiding names that I think are too out-there to use.