Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seeking sisters for Atlas

One step closer to actual baby-making: I spent the weekend with a dear friend who has agreed to be my donor once I finish graduate school. After continuing our ongoing discussion about the process and various legalities, our conversation turned to names. He vetoed most of my favorites (Wallace, Roscoe, Eloise, Juniper), but when I mentioned Atlas his eyes lit up. Dude loves Atlas. He was rapturous about Atlas. He also liked Hector and Odin for a boy (which go perfectly with Atlas) and Matilda for a girl (not so much).

And therein lies the rub: there are plenty of boys' names that sound right with powerful, punchy Atlas, but most girls' names seem weaksauce in comparison. The only name I can think of that I love and which works with a mythology theme is Freya, but as bad luck would have it, Freya rhymes with my own name. Thea, another possibility, rhymes with a common alternate pronunciation of my name. Argh!

I tend to prefer short, spunky, feminine names with connections to literature and (particularly Medieval and Renaissance) history, like Jane, Iris, and Alice. I also love nature names like Juniper and Marigold and hipster darlings like Eloise and Sylvie. I have an enduring affection for Sailor, Vesper, and Marlowe. My concern is that none of my favorites sound right with Atlas because they're too frilly or not strong and mythic enough.

But I love Atlas, and so does the probable future father of my child! Should I abandon the idea of sibset cohesion and pair Atlas with Jane or Marlowe or Sylvie? Or should I be concerned that next to a brother named Atlas those names would sound, well, weak? What would YOU name sisters to Atlas?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I'd probably go with Athena, Hera, Juno, Leto, Eos or other similarly short and strong mythological names.
    Baby Sequoia Orion due October 2014!
    Other favorites: Cytheria, Arcadia, Seraphina, Caspian, Gideon

Oh I like Hera!
    I'd also suggest Hestia, Metis, Gaia, Isis, Iris, Hathor (though probably not with Hector), Kali, and Lilith.

There are a ton more great godess names but these struck me as short and pithy and get with Atlas.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Probably something Greek, but not necessarily a goddess so it's not too in-your-face matchy:

Cleo, Clio, Theodora, Calixta, Alethea, Ianthe, Phoebe, Eudora, Xanthe.
    Some current considerations:

Cora Madeleine | Etta Rosalie | Hazel Miranda | Margot Eliza | Sylvie Coraline | Vivienne Esme
    Archer Daniel | Callum Sawyer | Emmett Sebastian | Ezra Byrne | Leo Vincent | Rhys Anderson

I expect some disagreement, but Atlas and Attila would be great b/g sibling names.