Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Formal or everyday name on birth certificate? Greek name

This question requires a little bit of back story..

So, most modern Greek baby names have a long "baptismal" form (the name the baby is called in church) and a short, everyday form. Some examples might be the names Ioannis (everyday:Yanni/Yannis) and Giorgos (Giorgo/Giorgo). Obviously, spellings will vary a little bit in English due to the different alphabet. In Greece, people have the long form on their birth certificates and official documents, but are almost never called by those long forms, unless it is an unusually short name like Maria.

We are following Greek baby naming protocol and naming our daughter after my mother. Her name was Katerina. We will be calling our daughter Katerina. However, the long form of the name is Aikaterini. I had totally made up my mind to put Katerina on her American birth certificate and be done with it, but now I'm having second thoughts.

I wanted my daughter to have an easier time at work and school and to have the name she is called on her BC, like most people do. However, I have the long form of my name, Evangelia, on my BC, even though I am called Evie by most people. I do like having the long form on my BC, but I feel like Evangelia is more manageable to most people than Aikaterini. Also, Evie and Evangelia start with the same letter and there is a more recognizable derivation. I have to admit, now that I am an adult, I go by Evangelia in professional life - maybe my daughter would want to go by Aikaterini, even though I can't imagine it?

My husband was born in Greece and has the long form of his name, Dimitrios, on his official documents. He totally hates it! He finds it difficult to explain that he is called Dimitri to his coworkers. And he hates being called "Dimitrios" - I know it may sound strange to Americans, but Greeks are really never called by their baptismal names outside of a church setting.

I'm really torn on this one and I'm hoping you all can provide opinions! For more information, we were planning to give her the middle name Ariadne, but if we go with Aikaterini, I don't know if we will. Our last name starts with A and that's a lot of As! I also don't like that both names end with the ee sounds, but one is spelled with an i and one with an e. We both want to give our daughter an ancient Greek middle, and Ariadne has a lot of personal meaning to me.

Thank you so much!
    Baby girl due September 2, 2013!

Guilty pleasures: Anastasia Isadora/Isidore Nicodemus Persephone Darrow Opaline Aurelia Chloe Mirabel Camelia

I would just go with Katerina Ariadne. That way she wont have to explain her name for her whole life, you can use the middle name you want, and you are honoring your mother by using her name. Since you're in the States it would be more convenient for her, and she will thank you for it!
    PREGNANT with our first!!!

My name is Caroline, BeatrixDaisy is just a name I like!

My favorite names:
    Emilia, Beatrix, Juliette, Chloe, Madeline, Audrey, Emerson, Alaina, Felicity, Coralie, Alessandra, Katherine, Lucy, Luna
    Holden, Noah, Nathaniel, Caleb, Cameron, Adam, Calvin, Travis, Ronan, Hudson, James, Paul, Peter, Mason, Troy

I would put Katerina on the birth certificate especially if you are think you'll be living in America for a long time. If you go with Aikaterini Ariadne plus your "A"Surname then her initials would be AAA which isn't good. Katerina Ariadne sounds pretty Greek to me.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I think it might be simpler to just put Katerina on the BC, and that way you can also be happy about your middle name choice. I think Katerina can be worn on a little girl just as easily as it can in the professional world. Aikaterini would be hard for many people to pronounce, whereas people are familiar with Katerina. Even in professional life it may be easier for her to go by Katerina.

My mom's full name (on her BC) is Graziella, but she goes solely by Grace (in professional life as well). She really dislikes Graziella, but often gets called that by people who only know her name from official forms or whatnot (similar to your husband). So unless you are hoping your daughter goes by Aikaterini in the future, or really want to have the strong link to the full name, just Katerina may be the way to go.

I think that using Katerina is your best choice. I think Katerina is professional and adult sounding so you shouldn't be concerned about that aspect. I wouldn't avoid Aikaterina because it's unfamiliar or cause the nickname isn't intuitive, I would avoid it to avoid the AAA initials.