Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Holiday vs. Saving?? Need Advice ASAP!

So I am currently at uni and although I haven't had time to get a job (my first semester as a full time student.) I have to travel two hours on public transport to uni every weekday. I was originally hoping to take a gap year and travel; but unfortunately that didn't work out. Plus I didn't want my Mum to be right when she said that if I didn't go straight to uni I wouldn't go at all! So I have been saving all of my birthday money and pay for babysitting etc, ideally it was just saving to have money put away, possibly for a trip to the US. So... tonight I saw this: http://www.flightcentre.com.au/holid...naheim-2780284 and I am sold (no pun indeed.) I am incredibly tempted to just go on this by myself because I have had Disney on the brain the last few months - AND its an incredible deal. I know my mum will probably tell that its my decision; but she feels that its bad idea, since I am going a trip for five days to Brisbane in December and I may decide to go to a theme park. What do you think? Is this stupid, should I just let it go for now or is it worth it? I only have three days to decide!

Thanks Berries!
    P.S sorry this isn't child-related; but I need an objective perspective.

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

I think saving money is obviously really important (I say this as a student who is absolutely BROKE right now), but so is having the life experiences you want (and that's where all my money goes, lol).

I think, depending what you want to do after school- move out or buy a house, get a car, get a pet (then pay for the inevitable vet bills), travel- you're going to need money put away to do that. On the flipside, if travelling is what you want to do and you have the time and funds to do it right now, you might as well go if you think you'll enjoy it. I've travelled a lot, and I've always found it has helped me to develop as a person. You really learn way more than you think when you're by yourself in a foreign country.
    You'll always have the opportunity to make more money. And Disneyland will likely always be a travel option.
    Personally, I think if you want to go and you have the time and money (ie: you aren't missing uni to go on a trip), then do it! You'll have a good time... and if you don't have a good time, then that's still a learning experience
    Taking a trip during the summer is not the same as a gap year, so the likelihood of not coming back to finish your degree is a lot less.
    If you do really want to travel and go to school, you could look in to year abroad programs thought your uni (or transfer to a school that does have international options), or internships or grants abroad. There are definitely options for doing travel and school simultaneously. It's not always cheap, but if it gives you the experiences you want to have, then I think it's worth it.
    Lucia
    Eleanora, Iluna, Iris, Sela, Seraphine
    Balthazar, Bastian, Caius, Felix, Gideon

I say go for the trip. I was facing a somewhat similar decision a little while ago--put extra money towards paying off my $20k+ of student loan debt, or plan/save for a trip to Europe? Obviously, it makes more sense to pay off student loans because interest accumulates on that, so I'd be paying more in the long run if I waited. I talked to my dad, who's an accountant and sort of my voice of financial reason, and he said to go for the trip. According to him, life experiences are more important and he wished he'd done more travelling when he was younger. So--travel!

Also, I currently live in Brisbane, and no offense to this lovely city, but the theme parks in the area pale in comparison to Disney (in my opinion). Plus there's a lot more on offer in both cities than just theme parks. You'll have new experiences in both places that you wouldn't get anywhere else.
    Current favorites:
    Genevieve - Eloise - Rosalie - Cecelia - Adelaide - Felicity
    and
    Theodore - Oliver - Henry - Myles - Silas - Finn

I'm going to say what you probably don't want to hear, which is stay at uni, get a job, and save your money! I went to Europe in the mid year break during my last year of uni (which was my sixth year). By then I had saved enough money for the trip with some more savings for the next year when I got my first real full time job. I needed money for bills, rent, etc, and so will you!
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Hey Berries,

Thank you for responding to my question. I truly appreciate your advice and opinions.
    After consulting my Dad and my Mum, discussing it a bit with some friends, I have decided to meet you, all half-way
    I completely understand where you are coming from, usually I am the kind of person who plans things to a T before I do anything. So going on this holiday would be completely out of character.

I think, depending what you want to do after school- move out or buy a house, get a car, get a pet (then pay for the inevitable vet bills), travel- you're going to need money put away to do that. On the flipside, if travelling is what you want to do and you have the time and funds to do it right now, you might as well go if you think you'll enjoy it. I've travelled a lot, and I've always found it has helped me to develop as a person. You really learn way more than you think when you're by yourself in a foreign country.
    - I completely agree with this, I thought about and I do want to do other things; but travel is something that's always been incredibly important to me.

Also, I currently live in Brisbane, and no offense to this lovely city, but the theme parks in the area pale in comparison to Disney
    - I agree with this too, but coming from Adelaide (without sound snobby) I don't really have high expectations, I haven't seen enough theme parks to judge - but I know ultimately Disney is well, Disney. Last time I visited the theme parks I was nine years-old, so it'd be nice to go back and look. Plus the friend I am going with has never been so it'd be cool for her to see it all.

I'm going to say what you probably don't want to hear, which is stay at uni, get a job, and save your money!
    - Thank you, haha, I agree (mostly.)

So here's the solution for me, save towards the trip to Brisbane and go with my friends, but keep a look out for any upcoming deals to Anaheim. Continue saving and get a job and then mid-next year I'll go with my parents (because they really want to go as well; but aren't in a position yet - they told me.) So that way I am doing things in a manageable way and I'll still have money towards the Brisbane trip and I'll have spending money as well. So I won't feel overwhelmed. Plus I'll see be able to afford all of my uni-related items. So as I said, I went half and half with everyone's opinions.

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas