Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Claus/Klaus?

Claus/Klaus?

I was just deeply reminded of it today for some reason... ^^
    I think of Klaus Baudelaire of the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, and think it's super charming and quirky and nice and all those things... In the film, they pronounced it more like house (only with a K and a long a) then the last half of Santa Claus, a connection I'm VERY aware of... My question is this: Could it be used in spite of the Santa connection?? And what do you think of it as a name? (With the pretty, rhyming with house pronunciation...)

Please be honest!! I have a hard time with this since I'm Norwegian, and we call Santa Claus "Julenissen" and Klaus is a perfectly respectable, although practically unused name these days...
    And if it matters, I can't stand Nicholas... (personal reasons...)
    Resident Norwegian, feel free to ask any questions regarding lovely Norse names and such! I'm more than happy to help ^^

Maeva + Everild + Rosa + Nimue + Ondine + Anaïs + Ophelia + Clio + Ariadne + Nona + Persephone + Lux
    Ambrose + Jorah + Philo + Silas + Orpheus + Hallam + Idris + Leonidas + Orion + Emrys + Graeme + Laszlo

Pearl + Valentine + Noble + Bloom + Prosper + Starling + Wren + Forest + Boone + Evening + Hero + Vesper + Royal

Re: Claus?

In the film, or at least the British version, it is spelt Klaus, which I think eliminates a lot of the Santa Claus association.

I adore Klaus, and I think it is both handsome and unusual, and exactly the right blend of strong and soft ...

Re: Claus?

It's been a while since I saw the film (or read the books for that matter) so I'd forgotten they spelled it Klaus...
    Do you really think it's enough to just change one letter and suddenly people won't think too easily about Santa? It's hard for me to understand, 'cause the whole changing of a letter is not a phenomenon I'm familiar with in any other way than reading about it, and people usually say the opposite, that changing some letters only makes it more unique on paper, but it's still the same name (even though I can hear differences in the pronunciations of Madelyn and Madeline, but I know you have fewer vowels in English compared to Norwegian...)
    I'm just curious ^^

(I also edited the first post to be true to facts ^^)
    Resident Norwegian, feel free to ask any questions regarding lovely Norse names and such! I'm more than happy to help ^^

Maeva + Everild + Rosa + Nimue + Ondine + Anaïs + Ophelia + Clio + Ariadne + Nona + Persephone + Lux
    Ambrose + Jorah + Philo + Silas + Orpheus + Hallam + Idris + Leonidas + Orion + Emrys + Graeme + Laszlo

Pearl + Valentine + Noble + Bloom + Prosper + Starling + Wren + Forest + Boone + Evening + Hero + Vesper + Royal

Re: Claus/Klaus?

I think of Santa immediately, no matter how its spelled. Sorry :(

Re: Claus/Klaus?

No need to apologise, I need honesty in order to assess the name properly and decide whether to use it as a first or middle name, or maybe not at all!! So thank you for your honesty! ^^