Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ever had name regret?

I think regretting a name choice may just be about getting over what people think of it. We just found out we're having a boy (last week) and we took the plunge and decided on the name we love--Job Marcellus. Job because we so admire the faithfulness of the man Job in the Bible, and Marcellus after a loved one who has passed away (his name was Marcel, but we like the "young warrior" meaning and sound of Marcellus).

So, we LOVE this name. We're calling him Joby and our 1.5 yr old says it adorably. BUT... I'm glad I'm telling people now, because the radio silence or the "Oh!" (and nothing else) after announcing his name has been almost tangible. But honestly---would we be way happier naming him Jacob and getting a big smile and content response from our audience? No offense to any Jacobs! I love the name Jacob--but my point is, just because it's more common, popular, and not connected to a story people often misinterpret, it becomes a safe zone for the parent.

I agree with someone I'd read on a thread a month or so ago who pointed out that naming kids is often a very selfish act as parents do it for themselves. Even naming your child a common name could be selfishly motivated IF the parent just did it to avoid backlash.

But every time I hear a more "unusual" name (that's strong, has meaning behind it, or is lovely)--I pause and think how awesome it is! Today at the pool I heard a little Selah (say-lah) being called, and since that was our top runner for a girl, I asked the mom about it. She spelled it the same as I was going to (above) and said she hadn't heard many, either. I just LOVED hearing it called out to this little girl at the pool. Made me even more sure about going forward with our Joby.

If you love a name, I think pushing past what ppl might/might not think about it is key. Your kid is likely to love the name, too, if they hear the story behind it and/or see how amazing you think their name is (like you think they are).

Our oldest daughter's name is unusual, too, but people always love it (once they finally get it). And I have a feeling she will, too, because there is a story behind it (and it's lovely, too).

I'm bemused by people's reactions but still in love with our boy's name. Ever had name regret yourself? Or name self-doubt?
    Mommy to:

Amaré Elyse . Her name is the present infinitive of "to love" in Latin, and we pronounce it Am-uh-RAY.

Job Marcellus. We call him Joby.

I'm sorry to hear ur having trouble but I have to say I much prefer Jacob, probably because here in the UK (well in Scotland anyway) a joby is a turd. Im really sorry, I don't know where u live or if that would have any bearing on ur decision but that was my immediate thought as soon as I read ur post.
    Aurora, Elena, Verity, Astrid, Annabelle, Evangeline, Lucia, Iris, Thea, Vivian, Ariana, Genevieve, Seren, Clio, Vera

Michael, Dexter, Zachary, Dylan, Max, Alexander, Cole, Adam, Ethan, Caleb, Thomas, Elliott, Matthew, Fox, James

No regret. Second-guessing maybe, but that was just post-partum hormones, I'm sure. I love my daughter's name and it's very meaningful to us.

We kept our name choices secret until she was born, so I did worry that our families wouldn't like her name. It's not out-there at all, it is uncommon but familiar. It's just that some of our family members are opinionated and don't keep it to themselves, and I knew I wouldn't handle any perceived criticism well in that state. My mother-in-law and my sister in particular can be like that; they get an idea in their heads about what they think you should do and then try to talk you into it. I couldn't deal with that.

Anyway, once she was born and named we've gotten nothing but compliments on our choice. The names we picked actually have special significance to some of our other family members that we didn't realize when we picked them.

Quote Originally Posted by archiemrs11 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear ur having trouble but I have to say I much prefer Jacob, probably because here in the UK (well in Scotland anyway) a joby is a turd. Im really sorry, I don't know where u live or if that would have any bearing on ur decision but that was my immediate thought as soon as I read ur post.
    Ha! Well thanks. It's really not a problem, just somewhat amusing! I did actually know Joby was "turd" in the UK. Several helpful ppl have told me. His official name is Job, and since we're in Washington DC and plan to be in the states while raising our kids so I don't think it will be too much of a problem. No more than John being a toilet.

Thanks, though!
    Mommy to:

Amaré Elyse . Her name is the present infinitive of "to love" in Latin, and we pronounce it Am-uh-RAY.

Job Marcellus. We call him Joby.

I'm glad u see the funny side Well if that doesn't bother u then I would say stick with the name u love and just ignore peoples reactions. If it's an unusual name where u live then u'll get that anyway but it obviously has meaning for u and ur husband.

Other than that I don't know anything about name regret because I don't have any kids yet. I do have a very unusual name though and even though I got the usual looks and remarks growing up and I still have to correct people on spelling and pronunciation I actually love it. I love the fact that mum put thought in to naming me, I'm named after my Granda who I adore and I'm glad mum was brave enough to use my name despite the funny looks and the pressure from my gran to just call me Kimberly or Kay.
    Aurora, Elena, Verity, Astrid, Annabelle, Evangeline, Lucia, Iris, Thea, Vivian, Ariana, Genevieve, Seren, Clio, Vera

Michael, Dexter, Zachary, Dylan, Max, Alexander, Cole, Adam, Ethan, Caleb, Thomas, Elliott, Matthew, Fox, James