Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska?

Hybrid View

Alaska?

My husband and I want to name our daughter Alaska in honor of our favorite vacation spot.

Alaska Jude would be her first and middle name, but we aren't sure how it comes off to other people. We like it because if she decides she doesn't want to be called Alaska, she can go by AJ (which we really like) or Allie, which is fine, too.

We can't decide if this name is too weird, or just unusual enough to work. What do you think?

I think Alaska is a cool, unisex place name. I personally wouldn't use it myself (I tend to lean towards ultra girly names) but I like the personal connection you have to it. I'm not a huge fan of have both the fn and mn being unisex. Alaska is a relatively new name that is being used, and its probably 50-50 for boys to girls. Jude however definately is a boy's name in my eyes. When announcing the baby's name you would definately have to say "This is our baby GIRL Alaska Jude."

Also, do you plan to travel to Alaska with your future daughter Alaska? Is it just me or would it be weird to be saying "Alaska look-its Alaska!" It might be fun, but it also might be kinda strange.

I do love the personal connection that you have to Alaska. But, I personally would leave it for the middle spot. But, if you love it, ignore me and use it!

Sorry for my rambling! Good luck!
    Boys: Maxwell, Bennett, Oliver, Elliott and Archer.

Girls: Rose, Juliet, Aria, Cora and Scarlett

Sorry for any random spellings. I'm probably on my nook!

Thanks for the response - I have considered other middle names to bring it that more feminine feel; however, I would want it to start with J to allow us to call her AJ. My husband likes Alaska Jane, but I'm not completely sold. Sounds a little bit like a cartoon character to me.

What about Alaska June? It's very close, and has a similar feel as Jude, but it's more of a feminine name? And as for Alaska, I really do like the name. It's different, but it's not too odd. And having the nickname options makes it that much better, since it is a very different name.
    If I had a baby right now, I'd name it,
    Scarlett Amelia or Emerson Joseph.
    I also like Cashel, Gabriel, Genevieve, & Juliette. + So much more.
    I'm Ashley btw, and I'm 19!
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9822324

Boys: Maxwell, Bennett, Oliver, Elliott and Archer.

Girls: Rose, Juliet, Aria, Cora and Scarlett

Sorry for any random spellings. I'm probably on my nook!