Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Telling the family?

This is an interesting bit of social dynamics I've noticed here. Do you tell the family the name before the baby is born? Do you ask for their suggestions, or input on the names you're considering?

My parents didn't tell my family until we were born, even though they used 100% family names. I probably will keep it to myself/between me and the father as well, even though my family is pretty chill and would be okay with whatever.

What do you think? Is getting that input really important to you, or is it more important for your child to be names solely by you?
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

My cousin who just had a baby at 23 didnt tell anyone [except her fiance] any of the names she was even thinking of using until the baby was born. I dont think it really matters, just personal preference if you ask me but what do I know.
    16 year old girl in year 11 (: I write when I can so I'm always on the lookout for new names

Girls: Melody, Briar, Arabella, Tempest, Zoey, London, Zara, Peyton, Sadie, Rani, Liora, Jordan
    Boys: Jackson, Rixon, Seamus, Jai, Claude, Carter, Asher, Rhys, Rian (prn Ree-an), Levi, Leo, Joey, Harper, Damien, Sebastian, Jasper

We discussed names we were thinking of using with the grandparents but kept the final decision a surprise. They knew the short list of 10 or so for either sex and we asked them about family names too. Happily they were thrilled with both our choices.
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.

I know some people who will wait until the baby is born to reveal the name, but a lot of people (at least in America) will tell the name around the same time they find out the gender.

I think I would keep it between me and my partner until the birth mostly because I don't give a flying crap about my family's opinion of the name, once we've picked it the name is not being changed! But that's the raging Irish temper and Viking stubbornness flowing through me
    Coraline "Corey", Georgiana "Georgie", Cecilia "Cici", Guinevere "Gwen", Rosamond "Rozz"

Everett "Rhett", Quentin "Quinn", Cornelius "Coren", Cormac "Mac", Heath