Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

A Minor Miracle: Names Discussed for Ant-two, the bladette

Perhaps he was feeling especially maudlin/festive due to the holiday, but my husband actually spontaneously had an adult conversation with me about names for our impending bladette. We didn't make it all the way through the list of 20 or so names-- I can only ask so much-- but here are the ones that meet with mutual agreement, many of which were his actual suggestions:

Aquila
    Cassiane
    Chrysanthe
    Mariam
    Noor
    Photini
    Panagia
    Verity
    Kyriake
    Anastasia
    Philippa
    Thalassa

The ones he strongly vetoed, with reasoning if there was any:

Helene ("sounds old and white." When pointed out that this is the quintessential Greek name, he did not relent)
    Eanswythe (death stare)
    Eirene, Irene, Irina, or any variant thereof ("you're a girl, would you like to be named Irene?")
    Myriam ("the Y is just weird, and Miriam isn't Christian enough")
    Nerissa ("I'm pretty sure this isn't really a name")
    Endellion (laughter)
    Sylvia (we have a friend by the name, he thinks it would appear in honor of her)
    Rosamond ("Mound! You would put MOUND in your daughter's name?!"

The ones I really like but we didn't make it to:

Cosima
    Theophane
    Everild/Averill [pessimistic]
    Meriel
    Myrrine
    Maris
    Sunniva (pessimistic)

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Photini! That's bold. Sounds like some kind of radioactive cocktail. And yet Rosamond is just too much for him. Good idea, saving Cosima for a fresh conversation. Not to mention beautiful Theophane, Meriel, Myrrine...
    My favorites (of those agreed upon) are Aquila, Chrysanthe, Noor, Verity, Anastasia, and Kyriake! Love it. What a wild and woolly Greek name. Cyriaca is quite nice too.
    Thalassa I know makes you think of thalassemia. Philippa is a bit horsey to my ears, like girls in polo shirts. Penagia is really unfamiliar to me but lovely. I like that it's close to Pangaea.

Alas, Eanswythe! Too beautiful for this world. Endellion got the axe?!?! What's his problem? You cooked!
    I'd say, framing is important. Pick your absolute favorites, back them up with meaningful associations, and see if you can put some kind of Christian spin on them. Use your most melodious voice.

Thanks emms. Photini is a very common name in Greece, meaning 'light,' but of course it conjures up photons (and now glowing cocktails). Panagia = Pan + hagia, or "all-holy." It's a very reverent Greek name given in honor of the Virgin Mary. I was rather surprised he came up with it. I think he knew a hot, somewhat slutty, girl named Kyriake once, which is why he thinks it's OK, but not Kyrielle (which is much smoother to my ears).

I like Pelagia a lot more than Thalassa and think I'll have to ix-nay that one, despite being bowled over that he actually suggested it.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Chrysanthe, Mariam, Phillipa, Cosima, and Everild are my favorites. I absolutely love Everild and wish my hubby would consider it! But he thinks it is too unusual compared to our other kids (and he's probably right!). I also really like Sunniva -- there is a girl in my son's class with this name and I think it is gorgeous! Good luck!
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (11), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

Ha! Yes Kyrielle is better. I think I like Kyriake because it's... so gleefully manIAKally Greek and crackly. But Kyrielle is a million times more wearable.