Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What will William and Kate select as the full name of their son or daughter?

Being a naming nerd and royal watcher, the naming of a new heir is quite exciting. Since Catherine and William announced their pregnancy, I have been reading about royal naming history and traditions. I have read numerous articles about naming possibilities, but they have only focused on the first name. Members of the royal family usually have three to four names, many of which have been recycled from previous generations.

With the baby due in mid-July, I thought this would be an ideal time to begin a thread for people to guess the name...the whole name. Below I have listed the full names of recent royals to assist in the guessing.

So...what do you think William and Kate will select as the full name of their son or daughter?

Full Names of Royal Family

King George V (Queen Elizabeth’s Grandfather): George Frederick Ernest Albert
    King Edward VIII (Queen Elizabeth’s Uncle): Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David
    King George VI (Queen Elizabeth’s Father): Albert Frederick Arthur George
    Queen Elizabeth II: Elizabeth Alexandra Mary

Queen Elizabeth's Children: (1) Charles Philip Arthur George (married to Diana Frances), (2) Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise, (3) Andrew Albert Christian Edward, (4) Edward Antony Richard Louis

Prince Charles’ Children: (1) William Arthur Philip Louis, (2) Henry Charles Albert David

Prince Andrew’s Children: (1) Beatrice Elizabeth Mary, (2) Eugenie Victoria Helena

Prince Edward’s Children: (1) James Alexander Philip Theo, (2) Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary

I think they will choose a very traditional name for their first born.

Boy: George Arthur Philip Charles

Other possibilities: Albert, Edward, Frederick, James, Leopold, Louis, William.

Girl: Victoria Elizabeth Mary

Other possibilities: Adelaide, Alexandra, Alice, Anne, Catherine, Charlotte, Eleanor, Helena, Louise, Matilda.

Obviously, some of the alternatives I've chosen would only be usable as middle names. I think a boy will definitely be named George. I'd be quite surprised if it's anything else. A girl is likely to be Victoria (Queen Victoria II has a nice ring!) and my second choice for a first name would be Alice.
    Last edited by sarahmezz; June 16th, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
    TTC #1

Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    I think they will choose a very traditional name for their first born.

Boy: George Arthur Philip Charles

Other possibilities: Albert, Edward, Frederick, James, Leopold, Louis, William.

Girl: Victoria Elizabeth Mary

Other possibilities: Adelaide, Alexandra, Alice, Anne, Catherine, Charlotte, Eleanor, Helena, Louise, Matilda.

Obviously, some of the alternatives I've chosen would only be usable as middle names. I think a boy will definitely be named George. I'd be quite surprised if it's anything else. A girl is likely to be Victoria (Queen Victoria II has a nice ring!) and my second choice for a first name would be Alice.
    I agree 100% with this! I was saying to my Mum today that I think they would a daughter Victoria with Elizabeth as one of the many middle names.

The name will definitely be traditional and have a strong history. I'm really looking forward to finding out the name they choose.

I'm just secretly hoping they don't choose any of the names we plan on using since I will be having a baby roughly 3 months after their bundle arrives. I would hate people saying "after the William and Kate's baby?" etc. We already have an Elizabeth and people make silly comments about us naming her after the Queen all the time.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Frederick James Arthur Michael

Mary Diana Elizabeth

Frederick just felt right for a boy. I think they will use Michael to honor Kate's father. James and Arthur are just guesses, it could be anything really.
    I really think they will use Diana for a girl, but not as the first name. Elizabeth is another name I'm quite sure they will use since it's a classic and honors both sides of the family. Mary, not so sure about it. Didn't know what else to go with. Maybe Louisa Elizabeth Diana?
    Alexis Victoria
    mom to the dragon and lion boys, AKA Drake Zephyr and Skandar Leonidas
    TTC 2014/2015

There were a couple of other threads on this a while back, but I suppose it's nice to start afresh as we're nearing July.

These were my predictions:

Prince First Names:
    Frederick, George, Edward, Albert, John, Arthur

Prince Middle Names:
    Charles, William, Philip, Albert, John, Edward, Arthur, James, Alexander, Henry, David, Alfred, Richard

Princess First Names:
    Alice, Eleanor, Matilda, Alexandra, Victoria, Elizabeth

Princess Middle Names:
    Margaret, Alexandra, Victoria, Elizabeth, Anne, Mary, Alice, Philippa, Frances, Charlotte, Caroline

I think he/she will almost definitely have 4 names. I also think they're unlikely to use close relatives' names as firsts- so Henry, Anne, Andrew, Beatrice, Louise, Charles, James (Kate's brother, Will's cousin) etc are probably out. Personally I hope they have a boy. I'm way more interested to see what they'd name a prince! And I love a Prince Arthur, Richard or John but they're unlikely Diana is right out, even as a middle, I reckon. Queen Diana? No. Yes, she was a lovely lady, but they're not going to break hundreds of years of naming tradition to honour her. Perhaps with a second daughter they might- in the middle spot.

But aaahhh I can't commit myself to combos! I love classic names so I could be here all day. George Arthur Philip Charles sounds nice but it's Prince Charles' name backwards and it also partially repeats William's name. But we haven't had a Victoria in 116 years, so that's a good bet!