Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Dilema: We love the name but...

The name my husband and I both love for our first baby is Aisla Grace Fluty. Aisla pronounced (eye-la). We just don't love the other spellings, such as Isla or Ayla as much. Though I've found historical references to the name as spelled, and others who have named their little ones using the same spelling I am afraid of giving my daughter a name that will be so hard for people to pronounce or spell that it will be a nightmare for her into adulthood. Any of you have experience with super uncommon names/spellings?

In my opinion, I think you should use the spelling that you like the best. I know people with uncommon names and if someone pronounces they're name wrong, they just correct them.

I personally do not think that the spelling of a name is a huge issue because for the most part, people just say your name.

I admit I misread the name as Ailsa. :|

In general, I prefer traditional or very well-established spellings. Realistically, there is so much variation out there, even people with traditional spellings have to spell their names sometimes. Aisla doesn't appeal to me, but if you like it and are comfortable with it, use it.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra

Quote Originally Posted by goodhope View Post
    I admit I misread the name as Ailsa. :|

In general, I prefer traditional or very well-established spellings. Realistically, there is so much variation out there, even people with traditional spellings have to spell their names sometimes. Aisla doesn't appeal to me, but if you like it and are comfortable with it, use it.
    Ditto that.
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

Well, you will definitely have pronunciation and spelling problems. I first misread the name as Ailsa (same as goodhope). If that doesn't bother you, then go for it. Personally, I think Isla is a more preferable spelling.
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter