Names Searched Right Now:
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Sorry I haven't gotten back here in a few days, I've had a busy week. Anyways, I've read through your thoughtful and generous replies, and I'm ready to comment. I'm not feeling so great, so I'll only comment on suggestions and actual questions, I'll do a big group thanks to the rest of you!

JTucker, Tori, Sarah, Lindsey, Lixginger, Pardalote; thank you all so much!!!

Emmsie; haha, you know, my man brought up Attila the other day! Garland is very gorgeous, I think I'd rather have it for a girl though... maybe. I don't know, you know, I think of Judy and this gorgeous Tori Amos song I love so much... feels feminine to me.

Mary; thanks! Titania Selene Fiammetta is very pretty, but unfortunately it's a conflict in imagery for me. Beautiful though!

Sansa; oh, those are lovely! My favourites would have to be Callisto Loveday Noor, Eulalia Isis Endellion, Fiammetta Charis Ophelia, Melpomene Isis Endellion and Zenobia Signe Ophelia. Thank you!

Leona; not going to turn this into a discussion about dolphins, but they are freaky. Aphrodite not, she wasn't a crazy rapist slut, she was free and made her own decisions.

Bouncparty; Amoret would be a-mawr-ett. Odessa, Thalia and Melisande are all beauties, have been considered and dropped before... Calliope I love, but I like Callisto even more. Thanks though!

Averella; I did, didn't I? Ceridwen is definitely one of my very favourites. You've got some gorgeous combos there; I really like Ceridwen Elbereth Noor (very frozen and shimmery), Fiammetta Cissea Giselle and Zenobia Circe Celeste. Thank you!

Tigerlily; apparently the Starbucks logo is Melusine. I never drink coffee at Starbucks, so I don't really care, but I don't want other people to have that association. You've got some lovely combos there, Gwenllian Arcadia Eos and Morgana Olwen Yvaine strikes me as particularly beautiful. Thanks!

Whirlie; thank you! Little sweets, did you look at an old list of mine? Cause Illyria wasn't mentioned here, and it is indeed one of Dita's middles. I do love Myfanwy though, thanks for bringing that one up! Hope your exams went well!

Niamh!!; thank you! I'm so happy about the top 5 you picked out... combos I love: Ceridwen Circe Melpomene, Ceridwen Isis Tinuviel, Circe Galadriel Morgana (triple sorceress-power!!) and Liriope Arcadia Signe. Just gorgeous!

Javad mr Man; Thank you for commenting on your favourites! That's very helpful, I love hearing what other intelligent people think. I'm wondering (after a few comments about Boudicca and bodacious) if American's pronounce Boudicca differently than Brits? We say BOO-di-kuh. I'm starting to come around to Genevieve, but it still feels to tragic and watery to me. Not enough strength in the name. I like your combos, especially Xenia Endellion Iris! And I love that you knew a Xenia, that makes me feel better about the world. It's an amazing name.

Clocktower; I really like Leontine (or Leontyne), and I used to have it on my list. Will add it back, it is wonderful.

Tuitree; thank you! And you are right, Roo won't remember it being only her. It will be weird, but I'm sure it will be great too. I like Melusine Godiva Noor and Morgana Iris Noor very much. Thanks!!

So my beloved as made me a list of names he likes waaay sooner than he said he would which makes me happy. He hasn't showed it to me yet, but when he does we'll compare our fancies and foes, and I'll let you know! If anyone else has suggestions or comments, please share!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I just thought I'd mention a couple other names I thought of while reading your reply. I'm sure you've probably considered a lot of them already, so just disregard any repeats!

Fiorenza
    Sophronia
    Seraphina
    Eleonara
    Idalia
    Elowen
    Temperance
    Tempe
    Sulola
    Ismay/Ismae

Congrats my dearest Otter!! How exciting to have a second blessing so soon.
    Ditaroo is going to be really blessed to have a sibling so close to her age - it going to be so much fun for them!

Well I'm very late to this party, aren't I? Go figure.
    I agree with a number of PP who suggested that names with greek origin might be too much and really set a tone for what you could possibly name any other kids. (I doubt you'll have 12 and there are 12 major gods but such limitation does not seem fitting for the Otter-fam). I do expect there to be much mythology and art references in any future kids of yours.

I know it's early but, do you plan on waiting a few weeks after meeting the new bambino to officially name it? OR are you thinking about a a variety of name to take with you that have different color imageries that you can than match with spirit once you meet the LO?

Amarantha - I love that this means unfading. It would be a very powerful image of beauty to hold up against Aphrodite. I'd probably choose the French version Amaranthe and only as a mn.
    Amoret - This name always makes me think of "amor" and it feels too "love" influenced next to Aphrodite. It's beautiful but I do mentally grown when I think of Diteroo having a sister with this name.
    Atalanta - This is beautiful but, the meaning "equal in weight" while absolutely true for any future child feels like you are trying to make a very blunt point.
    All A Names: Also for this and the next two, how do you and Mr. Otter feel about having two children with A- names? Do you feel that a third child would need to be an A- name as well?
    Bellicent - I want to like it but I keep coming back to the word belligerent and slaughters the name for me: I just see temper-tantrums and whizzing throwing knives.
    Belphoebe - This is absolutely one of my favorites for a sister for Aphrodite, it's got it's own and very different beautiful light and the combo of Belle with Phoebe makes it feel less greek. I got to say originally when you asked about it for Diteroo I couldn't really see it, but it's grown on me immensly and I love it now.
    Boudicca - This is just too bodacious for me esp next to Aphrodite. It feels like you were trying to find a name of equal weight and feels a bit heavy handed. You've got so much better - more individual matches.
    All B Names: I asked about an A- theme above, how about an alphabetical theme? I don't really expect and answer it's just a question I wanted to throw out there.
    Callisto - It's too greek for me. And, while fun and spunky the meaning "most beautiful" once again feels a bit too on the nose.
    Ceridwen - This is almost a "how can you not?". You've been wanting a winter baby for Ceridwen and now you're expecting in February. Can I say "done and done" yet? <wink>.
    Circe - I love this as a mn but as a first it's too obviously greek with Aphrodite.
    Eulalia - I like this undercover-greek name. It has a similar rhythm to Aphrodite with a slightly more melodic feel.
    Euphrosyne - Euphrosyne feels too heavy handed.
    Fiammetta - I still love her. The question is how do you feel about fiery Fiammetta on a February baby?
    Florimell - I know it's from "The Faerie Queen" but I keep thinking it sounds like a floral food additive or something.
    Genoveva - I like Genova and Genevieve but this feels unnecessarily frilly.
    Godiva - I don't necessarily love that it has an emphasis on the d sound - it feels too similar to Roo's name.
    Gwenllian - Stunning choice. So different but equally beautiful to Aphrodite and it feels like a great match.
    Hespera - I love Hespera but think that it might serve you better as a mn. It would feel just like too much next to Aphrodite.
    Hypatia - See Hespera.
    Liriope - This is a nice name.
    Lyonesse - I love this. Especially as a fn it has a great very subtle link to Illyria and a similar length to Aphrodite. It's incognito with it's cool mythological link and yet it's got this quite strength that. I think this is another I'm "stealing" from you and adding to my list.
    Melpomene - just not mine. It also somehow always reminds me of melanomas <sorry>.
    Melusine & Messalina - I just don't see the light in both of these. I think you have better. But to be very honest I don't think I really love many M names for girls and Morgana is just stunning.
    Morgana - I love and adore this name and think it's got real power and strength behind it. I think Morgana could hold up really well next to Aphrodite and she's definitely well known enough for her not to sound too simple next the more extravagant older sister. I totally see her as midnight-blue and deep-lushes purples. But, I also think this could be a really cool "normal" name for a future little girl.
    Niniane - I still just hear "ninny".
    Olympia - too Olympus-y for a sister named Aphrodite.
    Oriana - Beautiful name.
    Pandora - I still don't love it. I think it's stunning but I just can't get past the box and the music and the jewelry enough to want to see anyone with this name.
    Polyhymnia - I keep going back and forth between imaging a ton of church hymns being sung and a girl loosing their virginity over and over again. Maybe even both at the same time. You've got better.
    Roxana - It's missing the magic I think an Otterlett needs. This could be a great "normal" mn option.
    Selene -
    Tanaquil - I want to like it but it reminds me too much of NighQuil and tranquil - so I just keep hearing medication induced sleep.
    Titania - Strong Awesome choice. You'd have to very strong stunning little girls on your hands with this as a sibling for Diteroo.
    Xenia - it lacks music too me. You've got so many stunning options above that this doesn't feel as strong.
    Zenobia - This is very Olympian-12 but I think you could get away with it, without the average bear noticing.

Combos:
    Morgana Lyonesse Yvaine
    Belphoebe Lyra Tinuviel
    Ceridwen Hespera Eirene
    Eulalia Ophelia Amaranthe
    Gwenllian Alcyone Talitha
    Last edited by lexiem; June 22nd, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Wow, you sure have a stellar list of names there! My lists shrivel in comparison.
    I feel like you're such a name expert that you hardly need my suggestions, but I saw an opportunity to try pair up some wonderful names.
    Congratulations, by the way!

My favourite first names are:
    Ceridwen (I had never heard this name before, and I just skimmed over it until I saw pp swooning over it. Then I looked up the meaning and thought it was a PERFECT sister for Aphrodite. I agree with everyone who's says to use this!)
    Callisto- I've always loved this, but like pp said, using another Greek mythology name might get you stuck in the Greek theme. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with that, but maybe you will.
    Olympia- I love names beginning with O, so it's no surprise that I also like...
    Oriana- so pretty, with a pretty meaning as well.
    Pandora- been obsessed with this name since in studied Greek mythology, with so many great little nn possibilities. Dora, Panda, Pan, Andy..
    Circe- I've always pondered this name, but the spelling always bothered me. After reading ASoIAF however I fell in love with the spelling Cersei. (Which you probably won't enjoy, plus with Aphrodite it would be odd to have Circe spelled differently.)
    Atalanta- I love this! Wonderful namesake too.

Ok here's my go at combos:
    Ceridwen Isis Nephele
    Callisto Phoebe Sylvia
    Olympia Charis Elbereth
    Oriana Daphne Charis
    Pandora Charis Amaranthe
    Circe Arcadia Nephele
    Atalanta Charis Liriope

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    I haven't looked through the whole thread, so forgive me if you moved on from some of these. I like a lot of the names you listed, but some are a little mismatched with Aphrodite. For example, one of my favorite names is Roxana, but I think it might be a little too "normal" for your family. Maybe? Anyway the first names that I really like and I think would go well with your little Dita are Belphoebe, Callisto, Eulalia, Fiammetta, Liriope, Olympia and Zenobia. My favorite middles are Iris, Oenone, Noor and Zephyrine. (acutally, I think Iris Oenone Zepherine or Oenone Zephyrine Noor would make stunning combos!)

Belphoebe Iris Noor
    Callisto Amoret Carys
    Fiammetta Oya Vashti
    Eulalia Zephyrine Idunn
    Liriope Niniane Selene
    Olympia Callisto Cyrene
    Zenobia Oenone Noor (This one is my favorite)
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe