Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia?

I can't help but want to say Pennsylvania after it... I don't even think it would work as a middle, it's just not a pretty name imo
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Nathaniel

Pinterest | Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

I think Philadelphia is ok, It's a little heavy feeling though and already comes with all the associations people have of the city. Personally I would go with the shorter form Delphia. That way you still have the connection to the city but not so blatantly as to bring all those other connections. And with it's similarity to Delphine it seems a more legit name rather than a place name.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

I agree with the above poster who suggested Delphia.

I think Philadelphia is much too much, and very awkward for a person's name.

It's on my 'guilty pleasures' list. I love the nickname opportunities (Pip, Pippa, Delphi, Della etc.) and it makes me think of other people with long place names, like Tennessee Williams, which I like. I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to use it though. It might just be a bit too 'out there'. And I doubt is use it in the middle, because then I wouldn't be able to use the nicknames.
    Margot - Matilda - Nancy - Vivian - Beatrix - Agnes - Unity - Rosamund - Harriet
    Arthur - William - Theodore - Hallam - Winston - Marcel - Ignatius

Maybe because I live an hour away from that city, but um.... no. It's not a name to me, it's a place, and not even an attractive place (to actually visit OR the sound of it). I like the suggestion of Delphia.
    contemplating combos:
    August David Dodge · August Henry Dodge · Barnaby Viggo Paul · Barnaby Atlas Paul
    Leona Vesper Lynn · Vivian Lillie Revere · Florence Patricia Mae · Zelda Katherine Rose