Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    I went to Disney World (in Orlando FL) when I was 9 and am disappointed to say I hardly remember it, but from pictures and stories apparently loved the trip. I would still rather have gone when I was older, maybe 11 or 12, even into my young teens, because I wish I remembered more, but I don't think there's ever a bad time to go. It's so much fun and kids love it. Unfortunately I know nothing about the parks in Australia, but I'm sure you'll figure out what's best for your family when the time comes and you have a better grasp on all the different factors like how much you and your partner want to spend and how much standing/walking your kiddos can tolerate.
    contemplating combos:
    August David Dodge · August Henry Dodge · Barnaby Viggo Paul · Barnaby Atlas Paul
    Leona Vesper Lynn · Vivian Lillie Revere · Florence Patricia Mae · Zelda Katherine Rose

I wanted to go to disney land in Hong Kong but my mum saw the prices and decided no. We have been to most of the Queensland theme parks and we are going to Malaysia and Singapore and going to legoland there and seeing the orang-utans somewhere. I'll go myself one day. keep in mind that we live three hours out of Perth with no where near us so even Queensland is significant for us.
    〜Ebs〜
    Isobel*Eloise*Matilda*Alice*Eleanor*Amelia*Elena* Mirabel* Felicity* Phoebe*Tallaulah*Eilidh*Rosalia*Roisin*Azalea*Elsa *
    Eamon*Tiago*Cooper*Jack*Jago*Flynn*Archer*Lincoln* Asher*Alfie*Taylor* Finnian* Baxter* Lawson*Jasper*Deacon*Lewis*
    babynameobsessed.wordpress.com

1. I went to Disneyland Paris aged seven. I barely remember it but it was a good starter trip as it wasn't too far from home and we didn't have to fly there.

2. I went to Disneyworld Orlando aged eleven. This was my first flight and it was ten hours, definitely not something you want to do with a child younger than eight or nine. I remember it, but I've been back four times since so that helps. I definitely enjoyed it

3. I went to Disneyland Anaheim when I was eighteen as part of a family holiday to Vegas, San Diego and Honolulu.

In summary, I wouldn't go more than three hours abroad with kids younger than ten because - personally - I believe they won't remember it and I wouldn't want to sit with them on a long plane flight. I've just come back from Atlanta on an eight hour flight and that was gruelling enough. I wouldn't worry about kids being 'too old' for Disney. I'm twenty six and went to Florida last year and it was still magical.
    Last edited by renrose; June 22nd, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

It's interesting that you say most kids don't remember the experience at 4-6 yr marks. We went to Queensland and to all the theme parks when my younger brother was about five, maybe even four. It was a major trip for us as we went from Adelaide, through Victoria, New South Wales and then flew to Queensland. I was about eleven at the time and remember it quite well. But my brother being so little at the time remembers so much of that trip.

Jessica Emily Faith
    German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Esther- Wade - Romy - Carter

I think your age range is about right. I went to Orlando once when I was four (my parents left my one-year-old brother home with Grandma) and barely remember anything but swimming in the hotel pool. Turns out, that's all I actually wanted to do as I didn't quite grasp the concept of an amusement park and I was afraid of the people in costumes. We went again when I was thirteen (brother was ten) and at that point I considered myself "too cool" for Disney, but he seemed to enjoy it.

As people have mentioned, definitely keep the flight in mind. Australia-US flights are absolutely killer. I usually want to start crying at the end of them and I'm dreading eventually taking children on one. A slightly older child (9-10) might be easier to keep entertained/happy, given my interactions with kids on long car rides.
    Writer. Name lover. Dreamer.

Current favorites:
    Genevieve Lyra and Theodore Jon