Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Needing Names for Alternate World Psuedo-20's 'Genepunk'

Yes, I did just stick something on the suffix '-punk' to name my own genre. Name experts here, remember? ;)

I'm resurrecting an old duology set in (as you have probably guessed) an alternate world--NOT an alternate history, for the record--where the industrial age was driven by the discovery of genetic manipulation. The closest analog in real life to the time period in the story would be the late Roaring Twenties, right before everything falls apart. (The story, of course, is about everything falling apart.) I need some names that sound both old-fashioned and modern--basically everything. Anything with a Gatsby-vibe would be great, obviously, and I'd be open to something made up.

The names of my heroines are Brinna (nn Brinn), Kaiya, and Leila. They're the kind of characters who stepped into my mind fully-named, but I need help naming their families in specific. Brinna's older brother is the leader of one of the revolutionary groups in the city, and his alias is 'Green.' Kaiya is the daughter of the Mayor, who up 'til now I've just been calling the Mayor. Leila is the Magician's daughter, or at least she was when the story was still fantasy. I still call him the Magician (he was the first man to use genetic manipulation on a human), but I need an actual name for him.

So: Green, the Mayor, the Magician, and just a list of names you think would fit in this world. I'm open to pretty much anything.

Thanks!
    Hi there. My pen name is Diana (or akky, whichever you prefer).
    I'm here to find names for characters, not babies, though I do love working with kids.
    "Sometimes all you get is twenty pages, but you've got to make the best of it"--my mother
    If you need help with fantasy names, I'm your gal!
    Current WiPs: *Sometimes Falling Stars*

Green:
    Jasper
    Evan
    Mark

Magician:
    Julius is great
    Carlos
    Matteo
    Edwin

Others:
    Mordecai
    Aston
    Cal
    Pip

And a question: Is the Magician seen as a savior or a villain?
    ~Mehri

The Magician is rather a complicated character. Leila (his daughter) has a long-held grudge against him for various reasons. Kaiya HATES him, for radically different reasons. Brinna sees him as kind of a bumbling idiot who doesn't deserve the standing he has in society. Ultimately, he's a father who is trying to do the best for his daughter, but has no idea how to do it.

I really love Rhys, Basil, and Mordecai!
    Hi there. My pen name is Diana (or akky, whichever you prefer).
    I'm here to find names for characters, not babies, though I do love working with kids.
    "Sometimes all you get is twenty pages, but you've got to make the best of it"--my mother
    If you need help with fantasy names, I'm your gal!
    Current WiPs: *Sometimes Falling Stars*

Green:
    Pilot
    Everest
    Cole
    Myers
    Marter

Magician:
    Cesar
    Quincy
    Augustus
    Ovander (Yup , I made it up. Pronounced with a long O and then vander)
    Wayland
    Xeno
    Fictus (means false in Latin)
    Parvus (means small in Latin)
    Magus (means magic in Latin)

Others:
    Candor
    Damian
    Basil
    Clove
    Pepper
    Tamsin