Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Searching for the perfect name...

I'm still searching for the perfect name for myself. After being set on Tabitha for 6 months (my record!), I decided that I'm just not a Tabitha. Whilst I love names ending in a, they're just not for me, but hey, one could be, who knows?

My criteria:
    - 3+ syllables
    - Eccentric Aristocrat of Classic Eccentric in style
    - Heard of but not too popular in the birth year of 1996. (Below Top 140 would be good.)
    - Doesn't sound horrible with the surname Ellis or the middle name Eden. However I may add a middle name.
    - Preferably has links to literature, history and/or mythology.

So berries, what names do you suggest? Thank you in advance!
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    [CENTER]~Ebony~
    ----------------------------
    [COLOR="#66cc33"]Ignatius - Jasper - Hugo - Edmund - Henry - Oliver - Rupert - Felix - Percy - August - Atticus - Amias - Otto - Barnaby - Arthur - Ezra - Hector - Charles[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#cc99cc"]Antigone - Hermione - Harriet - Cordelia - Violet - Persephone - Beatrice/Beatrix - Clementine - Ottilie - Florence - Octavia - Drusilla - Agnes - Ida - Matilda - Xanthe[/COLOR]

[/CENTER]
    [SIZE=1]Previously ebonyeden[/SIZE]

[RIGHT][SIZE=1]avatar is my 8th great grandmother.[/SIZE][/RIGHT][/font]

If I were renaming myself I think I'd go for Kathleen. Kat or Kit is a cute nick name, but Kathleen is so pretty, sophisticated, and feminine and doesn't really need shortening.
    Wanting to be pregnant.

Ophelia! roots in Hamlet, three syllables, not common at all!

It's funny you mention Kathleen, ninanoo! Kathleen was my go-to name when I was 5. I wrote Kathleen Ellis on all of my school work instead of Ebony - I guess I've just always known that I'm not an Ebony. However, I'm not a fan of Kathleen anymore.

I have toyed with Ophelia before, plutophelia, but I don't think it sounds the best with either Eden or Ellis. Having perfect flow isn't something that bothers me, but I do like it to sort of sound together.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    [CENTER]~Ebony~
    ----------------------------
    [COLOR="#66cc33"]Ignatius - Jasper - Hugo - Edmund - Henry - Oliver - Rupert - Felix - Percy - August - Atticus - Amias - Otto - Barnaby - Arthur - Ezra - Hector - Charles[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#cc99cc"]Antigone - Hermione - Harriet - Cordelia - Violet - Persephone - Beatrice/Beatrix - Clementine - Ottilie - Florence - Octavia - Drusilla - Agnes - Ida - Matilda - Xanthe[/COLOR]

[/CENTER]
    [SIZE=1]Previously ebonyeden[/SIZE]

[RIGHT][SIZE=1]avatar is my 8th great grandmother.[/SIZE][/RIGHT][/font]

Hm. Something Eden Ellis. So, not something that ends in an -a, if you ask me, which limits the list of potential long names, as so many end in an -a! Anything else you want? Nickname potential? I'm hearing classic eccentric, which is bringing me toward quirky vintage, but if you want aristocratic glam, that could be good, too. Also, with Eden as the middle name being slightly "modern," I wouldn't go too vintage or too fussy - it might sound off.

If you added a middle and chose an -a name: Arabella, Araminta, Aurelia, Cordelia, Cornelia, Cecelia, Dorothea, Eugenia, Leonora,

As-is: Felicity, Eulalie, Hermione, Jessamine, Penelope - BUT, the names ending in "ee" sounds are so tough with Eden in the middle, and names ending in the "n" sound don't flow so well with Eden, so...

Beatrix Eden Ellis
    Genevieve Eden Ellis
    Harriet Eden Ellis
    Isabeau Eden Ellis
    Rosamund Eden Ellis
    Violet Eden Ellis

Yours is a tough situation as -a names don't work with vowels very well, -n first names don't work with Eden so well, -"ee" names don't work with Eden at all, and "-el" names are awkward with Ellis. You're quite the case for a Berry!

Personally, I love Genevieve Eden Ellis. It's glamorous and chic but comfortable and wearable for a girl today. It's familiar but not everywhere. It's got style and nickname potential galore - Gen, Gennie, Genie, Neve, Ev, Evie, Gigi. Plus, I think it sounds superb.

Best of luck in finding your new name!

Lemon
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude