Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Balthazar?

Quote Originally Posted by auroradawn View Post
    I think one of the Berries has William Balthazar in her signature as the name of choice if her baby is a boy, and I think that combo is awesome--playing the handsome but more popular William off the energetic and more off-beat Balthazar.
    That would be me. (Thanks for the compliment!) Obviously, I love Balthazar, and I don't understand why it's not more popular either, since spelled that way, it has a "z", which seems to be a bit of a trendy letter lately. Some people have mentioned that it seems a bit evil and villian-like (as a pp said) for some reason, but when I hear it, I think of Balthazar, Casper (also a fave!), and Melchior, the traditional names for the Magi. Because of that, I associate the name with generosity, and there's definitely nothing evil about that!

Maybe the lack of a good nickname also hurts it? I actually wouldn't mind using it as a first name if I could get DH on board with it, but I think I would hesitate due to the nickname issue. Bally? Zar? Bart could maybe work in a stretch, but most people would think of the Simpsons.

Something about the rhythm makes it work well as a middle name, though. Perhaps there are more people using it as a middle name than a first? The one celebrity Balthazar I know is Balthazar Getty, and Balthazar is actually his middle name.
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar and Catherine "Cate" Ophelia (Expecting #3 in late Feb. 2016!)
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander ?, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

Quote Originally Posted by heyitsme18 View Post
    To me, it's more exotic and villain-like. I can see it working for a volcano-dwelling, world-hating mad scientist, but not for a cute little baby boy.
    But that's talking first name. Middle name wise, I think it rocks. All of that when made middle name works amazingly well.
    I think you hit it on the head. I think there is something villain-esque about it.

I think Ezekiel is more popular because it's a name from the bible. Mordechai, I think would be popular in the jewish communities. I think that's a possibilty why those names are a bit more popular than Balthazar.

Oh, I like Balthazar. Honestly, I am still happy that there still are some undiscovered gems in Bible even though others (Noah, David, Malachi) are popular.
    I like Balthazar and other Ba- names (Bartholomew, Barnaby) as well. It's an energetic, strong, masculine name. And if you are brave enough, I would be happy to meet little Balthazar.
    As it goes for nicknames, I agree Bart could work but I am not very happy with it. Maybe Thor(different letter, I know) or Zar?
    Olympia/College student/Books, arts, glasses and coffee

Frances Birdie Jane & Oscar Ignatius CosmoEmmeline Twila Alice & Nathaniel Roscoe Wilde
    Esme Helena Mazarine & Axel Isidore SageTabitha Elowen Constance & Grover Elijah St John

Sylvie Bluebell Dashiell Roman Georgia Polly Jarvis Raphael Sybilla Florence James Peregrine Isolde Beatrix Adler Jack

I have no idea why it's being overlooked! I've loved Balthazar for years, I think it's amazing!
    Lucia
    Name aficionada, traveller, teacher, wonderfully enamoured
    Sela Beatrix, Adelaide Flora, Vivian Lilac, Orchid Minerva, Audrey Cordelia
    Opal, Zinnia, Sefora, Leire, Nuria, Freya

Bastian Liher, Gideon Felix, Fletcher Atlas, Ephraim Grey, Joscelin Amos
    Eneko, Ekhi, Bruno, Oriol, Earnest, Ivor

I like it! And what about the nickname Baz?