Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    I like Rory a lot, and I think it's easy to say, and it seems like the perfect sort of name for you--so in your style, but mainstream enough that it really fits in with Rowan, unisex-stylish enough that quite at few people like it--that she'll likely like it--but tame enough that she wouldn't really feel like she has a crazy name, or a boys' name, but boyish/unisex enough that it really seems to suit your style. I want to love it, but I agree, Rory and Rowan are really similar. I think two "R" names are fine (Rowan and Reese/Rhys? even Rowan and Reagan?), but the Ro's for Rowan and Rory are really close. I still think you could probably get away with it, if it's the one, but it might be a bit too close for comfort. For me, at least, and for quite a few other Berries, apparently. I think Sawyer has that same great balance, unusual, unisex/masculine, but still more socially acceptable for a girl that goes really great with Rowan. Do you still like Sawyer? I've always really liked it for you from your options.
    Yes, I still love Sawyer and it's definitely still on my list. I like Rhys too.

I guess everyone is right that Rory is too close, it's hard to get away from that sound I love. I just love R's, W's, and O's!
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I mean, Rory is sort of a garbled sound of a name, but it's also sort of not, so I'm perplexed here. It's just fun and perky, so I don't want to have trouble with it. I also can't definitively decide if Rowan and Rory are too close, but I'm not sure they are distinct enough, gender-wise, if you ever wanted to use Rory for a son instead of a daughter. That being said, a name like Rafferty might be better and more distinctive in that case, whereas for a girl, a name like Remy might be more appropriate than Rory.

Going off of your other names, I do love Sawyer, and I do love Merit, though I'd use the Merritt spelling to take it to a less wordy place. Asher is also divine with Rowan. In that vein, maybe I'd go toward Abel, Arlo, Beckett, Callum, Everett, Ira, or Jasper for a boy or Astrid, Briar, Campbell, Ellis, Fable, Mabel, Olive, Piper, Tess, or West for a girl.

I'm wondering if names like Arlo and Briar and Olive satisfy your craving for R's and O's.

Best,

Lemon
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

I love Rory on a boy, but find it difficult to say. It comes out sounding a lot like Roy.

I don't think it's hard to pronounce at all, but sometime I wonder if my accent makes a difference? Anyway, Rory is a great name but I think it's too close to Rowan.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by lemon View Post
    I mean, Rory is sort of a garbled sound of a name, but it's also sort of not, so I'm perplexed here. It's just fun and perky, so I don't want to have trouble with it. I also can't definitively decide if Rowan and Rory are too close, but I'm not sure they are distinct enough, gender-wise, if you ever wanted to use Rory for a son instead of a daughter. That being said, a name like Rafferty might be better and more distinctive in that case, whereas for a girl, a name like Remy might be more appropriate than Rory.

Going off of your other names, I do love Sawyer, and I do love Merit, though I'd use the Merritt spelling to take it to a less wordy place. Asher is also divine with Rowan. In that vein, maybe I'd go toward Abel, Arlo, Beckett, Callum, Everett, Ira, or Jasper for a boy or Astrid, Briar, Campbell, Ellis, Fable, Mabel, Olive, Piper, Tess, or West for a girl.

I'm wondering if names like Arlo and Briar and Olive satisfy your craving for R's and O's.

Best,

Lemon
    I do like Arlo, but my husband strongly dislikes it. I have close friends with a son named Briar. And I'm not really a fan of Olive, I just see too much teasing potential.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.