Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A name to honour Rhonda

Hi,

My husband and I are brainstorming girls' names.

We already have a son, and a possible second son is all-but-named, but we have issues with girls' names.

We LOVE the name Astrid, and by happy coincidence, it has a very similar meaning to my MIL's name, Dianne.

I had been wanting a "family" name, as our son has my maiden name in the middle, so this puts Astrid in #1 spot for a possible daughter.

However, in the spirit of fairness, I would like to see what there is that could maybe honour my mum? She does't have a middle name, and her maiden name is very common (think, Jones, but even more so), so all I have to work with is Rhonda.

Maybe something that has a related meaning ("noisy one", or at a stretch, the Rhondda Valley), or even just the initial R.
    It would have to flow with Astrid, and it can't be Rhiana (or similar), as that is too like my sister's name.

I haven't had much luck, but I may be thinking too literally. Please help?

Are you thinking Astrid as the first name and then the name honouring Rhonda in the middle?

Astrid Nora (similar letters, and there's the children's book Noisy Nora, making it a noisy name!)
    Astrid Rowan (again similar letters)
    Astrid Veronica (similar sound with 'ron' in the middle)
    Astrid Rhoda
    Astrid Robin
    Astrid Rose

Its a tricky one. Best of luck!

Thanks Imogeneve

Yes, thinking Astrid first. I love your suggestions (and your kids' names - Oscar, Celeste and Lilian are all in my top 10!)

Nora is lovely - she would share initials with our son, but that's not necessarily a bad thing (a different story for brothers).
    We both love the MN Rose, but worry it is overused (but then, my MN is Jayne, and I've coped!) I have just realised that an R name would make her initials ARC with are the first 3 letters of our son's name - not sure if that's a great idea
    Veronica would be lovely too - my mum's siblings call her Rhonny.

Thank you - I will definitely be taking these suggestions to my husband.

I like Astrid I did a search for names with "ron" and saw these that might be nice:

Astrid Bronwen (or Rhonwen)
    Astrid Rona or Ronia
    Astrid Verona
    Astrid Sophronia

I like Saffron, but i don't think it quite works with Astrid.

Another way to honor your mother might be to let her make a few suggestions of her favorite names so that she has a hand in naming the baby, or to pick something like the name of her favorite author or biblical character, or something that otherwise calls her to mind - you can be creative in thinking of her interests or character traits or background.

I was thinking Veronica, too. But have you considered other ways to honor your mother without using her name? I remember someone on here was saying they picked a name to honor their mother because it was her favorite flower. Maybe something similar would work for you?