Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Does Mila sound funny on a Caucasian child?

I love Mila, but worry it's more appropriate for a hispanic/italian/etc. girl. What do you think?

I don't think so. I had a white friend in grade school with that name.

No, I think most names work on any child. Mila is lovely.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

IMO, Western hemisphere names that are classics or popular in their countries of origin usually work well on people that aren't from the same ethnic group. This probably has to do with the fact that most languages of Europe and the Americas use the Roman alphabet (or some variation of) and can be traced back to Latin and/or Greek. While some names 'feel' Irish or Latino (Roisin or Marisol, for example), many of the more mainstream choices (such as Aiden and Isabella) are common on children of all ethnic backgrounds.

I will also point out that Mila is neither Spanish nor Italian. It's a very common Eastern European (Croatian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, etc.) diminutive of many names containing 'mil', which means gracious or dear. Mila Kunis has attached a slightly exotic image to the name, however, with the name's popularity I doubt anyone will really carry that idea in the next few years.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Its really popular in Australia and not all of those would be Serbian, Croatian and Macedonian immigrants (spain isn't even one of our top 40 countries for migrants). Its not Italian or Hispanic so it works for anyone. If it was something like Jelena I would say no though but like Ana it seems universal (and yes I did just use Serbian tennis players for my examples)
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com