Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Appropriateness of taking an ethnic name outside of your ethnicity?

I do not like my first name, and haven't for so long as I can remember. I have been using a nickname for a few years, and it works well for now. However, I don't know whether it will age well, and I don't like constantly explaining in job interviews and other sorts of paperwork-y situations that "My name is ____ but I go by ____." I'd rather just change my legal name to something I would actually use.

So, I discovered a Hebrew variant of my name that I like much better. It has the same meaning as my name, which I like, plus it lacks the phonetic, cultural, and personal issues I have with my name. It's similar enough that it wouldn't be a big adjustment for other people if I adopted this name, but it's also different enough that I feel I would be comfortable with it.

One friend has suggested to me that it would be wrong to take on this name because I'm not Jewish, and Jewish people may take offense. Another has suggested that it's not a problem, because my reasons for taking the name aren't about exoticising a culture different from my own. Are there any Jewish folks around who could lend me insight? I don't want to be culturally insensitive, I just can't tell whether this would be.

Any input is appreciated!
    mother told me never to share a name before i used it.

I was raised Jewish, but in a very liberal synagogue. I wouldn't mind if you took a Hebrew name. There's a good chance it's the original version of your name, anyway so I don't see any issues with it.

What is it?
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

Quote Originally Posted by sidura View Post
    I was raised Jewish, but in a very liberal synagogue. I wouldn't mind if you took a Hebrew name. There's a good chance it's the original version of your name, anyway so I don't see any issues with it.

What is it?
    I wondered whether it might be the original in the first place. That may be worth looking into!

I am hesitant to share it for fear it would give away my own name.
    mother told me never to share a name before i used it.

It depends on the name
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

I believe there's at least one Conservative (or maybe Orthodox) Jew on this board. I can't for the life of me remember her username! She would probably be the best person to ask.
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper