Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emmaus

Hybrid View

Emmaus

What do you think of Emmaus?

It's a Biblical place name pronounced em-may-us. Do you think it would consistently be pronounced wrong (em-mouse or something)?

I know it's unusual and probably sounds like a made up version of Emma, but I like the symbolism of it and think it's very pretty.

What would you think if you met a little girl named Emmaus?
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I would think her parents are very religious since it's a Biblical name. I am not a fan of Emma but Emmaus is cute.

It sounds like a boy name to me. Not sure why, exactly, since it's a place name. Maybe because the whole Biblical story about Emmaus is about guys talking.

I really like Emmaus in the biblical sense! It struck me as more masculine than feminine, but reading this, I can really see it on a girl. My only hang up is that there is an Emmaus , PA, too, which isn't as quaint and sweet as the Biblical one. Its not a bad place, but since I grew up not far from there, it strikes me as more a place than a name.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Emmaus looks like a masculine name to me, probably because it looks like a masculine version of Emma and has the -aus ending a lot of male names have. I do think it will get mispronounced a lot, similar to Klaus and Nicolaus.

There are so many great biblical people names that I'd probably try to look for something that was used on a person.

What about Amice or Annis?
    Last edited by scarletrune; June 13th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly