Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Middle name for Huckleberry?

I know what some of you are thinking. Allow me to preemptively respond by reminded you of that age old bit of sage advice: If you can't say something nice [or constructive], please shush

Anyhow, my husband and I have decided on Huckleberry for our second baby boy. Big brother is Holden (after THE Holden Caulfield) Timothy (after his daddy). We didn't do the "H" thing on purpose, but we wanted something thematically linked (hooray, literary names!) and/or personally meaningful, and our family names all kind of suck or are otherwise incompatible. Anyway, I love the character Huckleberry Finn, and we both rather adore the nickname Huck, so that's where we are.

The trouble now is coming up with a middle name. Huckleberry is a tough match. So is our super-German surname (9 letters, only 2 vowels). I've come up with a smattering of names I think could work (they're both personally significant and sound decent with the other names), and I'm hoping to get a little feedback about them:

Jude
    Phoenix
    Finn (yes, really.)
    Bay
    Roan
    Phelan

I'm also open to other suggestions!

Thanks!

The problem with Huckleberry is that because it is so whimsical and rare, pairing it with something unusual like Phelan or a nature name like Bay makes it feel really over-the-top. I would definitely bring it down a few notches for the middle name. Huckleberry Jude works. Some other ideas:

Huckleberry David
    Huckleberry Gavin
    Huckleberry Jack
    Huckleberry Nathan
    Huckleberry Jonah
    Huckleberry Alec
    Huckleberry Isaac
    Huckleberry Thomas
    Huckleberry Ezra
    Huckleberry Samuel
    Huckleberry Beckett
    Huckleberry Ryan
    Huckleberry Russell
    Huckleberry Brennan
    Huckleberry Simon
    Huckleberry Emmett
    Huckleberry Grant
    Huckleberry Joel
    Huckleberry Asher
    Huckleberry Caleb
    Huckleberry Luke
    Huckleberry Owen
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Thanks for your suggestions...I agree with your take on pairing Huckleberry with nature/unusual names, and Jude is definitely my favorite of the bunch i listed. What's making this especially difficult is that I find it hard to really care about and want to commit to a name just based on my liking its sound. *sigh* this is gonna be a tough one

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    The problem with Huckleberry is that because it is so whimsical and rare, pairing it with something unusual like Phelan or a nature name like Bay makes it feel really over-the-top. I would definitely bring it down a few notches for the middle name.
    Couldn't have said it better.

My initial thought was Huckleberry James.
    But I also like Huckleberry Charles, Huckleberry George, and Huckleberry John.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

I do like the sound of James. I'd have to work on getting over it not being personally meaningful. (I'm a little neurotic)