Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Karl

Karl

I have been looking for a name to honor my dad whose name is Karl. I loved Kale but now I discovered Carlisle. Is it a form or variant of Carl? What do you think?

Which of these girls names from my list can you see with Carlisle?
    Eleanor nn Nora
    Josephine
    Margaret nn Margo
    Amelia
    Naomi
    Lydia
    Marian
    Clementine
    Last edited by vancuraa; June 12th, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
    Names I love for my future children:
    Girls: Maisy, Nora, Josephine, Lydia, Marian, Clementine, Amelia, Scout, Naomi, Darcy, Sage, Blair
    Boys:Gabriel/Gable, Kale, Easton, Jasper, Carlisle, Joseph, Jameson, Grant, Bennett, Asher

No, Karl is a German form of Charles. Carl may be used as a nickname for Carlisle and it's a fair way to honour someone named Carl, but they aren't related.

Honestly, I don't like it. Carlisle is not a city I'd want a child to share a name with. And I'm struggling to see it working well with your classic girl names. Perhaps you could leave it in the middle spot, or use Charles/Charlie instead?
    Last edited by charlieandperry1; June 12th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.

I don't really like Charlie actually. I don't know why I don't. I have been researching it and a lot of sites say its a variant of Carlous which is a variant of Carl.
    Names I love for my future children:
    Girls: Maisy, Nora, Josephine, Lydia, Marian, Clementine, Amelia, Scout, Naomi, Darcy, Sage, Blair
    Boys:Gabriel/Gable, Kale, Easton, Jasper, Carlisle, Joseph, Jameson, Grant, Bennett, Asher

Freaky, I was just about to post a thread about my recent name crush, which is Carl.

I like Carlisle! My DH's grandfather is Lyle so we're considering Lyle or Carlisle for our next babies middle name if it is a boy. I don't feel confident enough myself to use it as a first name because I'm too afraid people would think I named him after the place or the character from The Twilight Saga (cliche, I know but I can't help but think they would think that).

I do love Carlisle though!
    Senia Hero: 21/03/11
    Apolline Ever: 05/09/13

I love the idea of honouring your father, but I'm not big on Carlisle... it is very Twilight. I much prefer Karl.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina