Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jame1881 View Post
    Hrm...let's see...
    If I were in this situation, I'd pick a longer form of Ollie - Olive, Olivia, Olesia, etc. I always reserve surnames for boys.

But I'm not in this situation, and I agree Montgomery has a great meaning for you. And at least Montgomery has the "ee" sound at the end. But here's the problem: nicknames are uncontrollable. As much as you may call her Maggie, teachers, friends, and co-workers are going to read, "Montgomery" off official documents. Your little girl might decide she likes Montgomery over Maggie to make things easier, and then she'd end up being Monty. Be sure you like Montgomery on a girl as much as Maggie or any other nickname you may assign.

Overall, I would recommend saving Montgomery for a boy and using some form of Ollie instead. Even Ollie itself has a much more feminine spunk to it than Montgomery.
    I see what you're saying about using Ollie instead, but I just can't bring myself to use Olivia. I know about 5 just off the top of my head and the reason I love using family names is to really give a name a sense of uniqueness while still having connection. Not to mention, according to my grandmother, Ollie hated her first name. I actually don't mind Montgomery in its long form, but I'm from the south so I'm used to hearing unique family names.

Er ... I don't know. Its a family name with meaning to you but...it makes me think of Mr.Burns from the Simpsons. I may be the only one though.

I think it could be a nice middle name...but not as a first. And in my humble opinion Montgomery is just not an attractive name (for a boy or girl). Sorry.
    ~♥~ Amanda ~♥~
    A proud mom to one little monkey named Cato

Quote Originally Posted by mandanyx View Post
    Er ... I don't know. Its a family name with meaning to you but...it makes me think of Mr.Burns from the Simpsons. I may be the only one though.

I think it could be a nice middle name...but not as a first. And in my humble opinion Montgomery is just not an attractive name (for a boy or girl). Sorry.
    With a name like Montgomery I never expected that it would be everyone's cup of tea. Its still a strong possibility that it will end up in the middle spot. Its something I'd have to be very confident about before I use it as a first name so its good to hear the range of different opinions.

Ann Montgomery is rather sweet. Or Margaret Montgomery, nn Maggie or Merry or Meg.

Rules are made to be broken!!! I find Montgomery Ann charming

Also: I knew a girl in high school named Monica, whose nickname (given by her basketball teammates) was Monti, and damned if it wasn't super cool.

Also also: I know a woman with a little girl named Ollie who seems like an really neat kid (i've never met her) and who recently won an award at school for being "most inspirational."

(All told, if I met a girl name Montgomery--OR Ollie--I think I'd feel a twinge of envy)