Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Useful (but unique) gifts for a new mom?

Hi guys, I was hoping you could help me out. My cousin is pregnant and while she isn't due until October, I'm a planner and would really like to start thinking about gifts for her and the baby right now.

This will be my cousin's first child and she is not very knowledgeable about pregnancy or parenthood AT ALL. So I would really like to help her out.

I've been trying to think of nice presents I can buy or make for her. However I'd prefer the presents to be somewhat unexpected, something not everyone will be getting her (diapers, clothes, soothers, etc). I was also thinking maybe even making her meals after she has the baby (as I can imagine she wouldn't have the time to cook for herself) but that's for her.

I was thinking of buying her something for the needs of the baby and then making a cute decoration or personalized onesie with non-toxic stuff (or something similar).

However I'm having trouble thinking of things she will REALLY need that no one else will buy for her. And the internet is not much help since it gives me ideas that are wayyy too expensive for a 15 year old.

So naturally I come to you guys, hoping you can help me.

Can you think of any gifts that were given to you or someone else that really helped them out with being a new mom (that is also not too expensive) while still being unique from all the other overdone gifts?

Any suggestions/ideas/advice is much appreciated!!

Just call me Pandora...

Orpheus Brian Roscoe, Apollo Michael Leander, Rainier Finnian Castor, Tristan Eli Declan, Stellan Wolfram Asher, Florian Ezra Lucius, Pyramus Damon Emery, Raphael William Laszlo
    Matilda Rosamund June, Adelaide Poppy Renée , Rosalie Elena Iris , Mary Aine Willow, Ariadne Margot Lilith, Isobel Calliope Snow, Nadia Ivy Elizabeth, Eleanor Beatrice Rain

I don't know about making something useful other than a blanket.... perhaps a crotched rug for the nursery?
    Or if they know the name and share it ahead of time, buying and decorating the letters to put up on the wall. You could also make a mobile of some sort.

We were given a "note/coupon/iou/whatever" from a friend who is a chef promising to make us dinner after the baby is born, which is a really nice gesture.
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~

Thanks like I said I will offer to make her meals after the baby comes....

I will probably make her a onesie for the creative present...

For baby shower gifts for new moms, I most often go to a big mass retailer like Target and pick up odds and ends for baby care that might be overlooked. I usually create a large basket with things like baby acetaminophen, baby gas medicine, diaper rash ointment, baby nail clippers, a nose suction bulb thingy, lanolin nipple cream for mom, saniwipes that fit in a car cupholder, a little bath ducky that turns a certain color in water that's too hot, etc. It's usually gone over quite well.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

The meal idea is a wonderful idea for the mum, I am sure she'll appreciate that very much!

For the baby... she's due in October which means it will get cold soon. Are you any good at knitting or crocheting? Cute little hats, gloves or a nice cosy blanket for the pram are always useful. My cousin made my daughter all these adorable stuffed animals from old fabrics. My mother made my daughter a baby blanket from fabrics that had some significance to me (like old almost worn out clothes). My nephew who's the same age as you made my daughter a book, it is so cute. He's drawn very colourful but simple settings, and then he's taken photos of his teddy bears and placed them in the pictures (they're out having adventures). It's very cute, and truly one of the best gifts we got for her.

Good luck, I think it's so sweet that you want to do something special for your cousin!
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014