Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any coffee drinkers out there?

I have always been a coffee lover, but when I was in the first trimester it actually didn't look or even smell good to me and since I knew it wasn't exactly ideal for the baby, I gave it up, no problem. Now I am 23 weeks and have been having 1-2 cups of coffee every day, I feel like I look forward to it so much! I asked my doc about it and although there is conflicting information out there, he said he thought it was fine especially since I am this far along. He actually said ANY amount is likely safe but I limit it to 2 cups a day. I still feel kinda guilty though. I did the same with my other 3 pregnancies and had no issues what so ever... anyone else drink coffee but kinda wish you didn't?
    Momma to:

Oakley Adam
    Aspen Elizabeth
    Brecken Charlie

Expecting another boy October 8, 2013

In spite of having worked as a barista, I never drank coffee until after we brought our son home. Now I deeply love coffee. I felt bad about it for awhile and tried to quit, but then I read this thing about how coffee is actually good for you and I chose to believe it. Here is a random popular science article to back that up: http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...-are-7-reasons

I feel like all of the women I know drank coffee through their pregnancies, and all of those babies are fine. 1-2 cups a day doesn't sound excessive to me at all. Maybe it could cause a problem if you were drinking twelve cups a day, or if you were predisposed to a heart condition or something. I would not worry about this, especially since your doctor said it was fine.

The only study which demonstrated ill effects in pregnancy of coffee consumption did not show any downside until daily use >7 cups/day. In women who drank that much coffee, the vasoconstrictive effects caused a modest uptick IUGR and preterm labor.

Nearly all physicians just halve that amount and say as long as you drink <3 cups/day, you're fine-- but the data supports <7.

I drink coffee daily, usually 1-2 cups. When I was pregnant with my son I was in active clinical residency, so had an extremely heavy work schedule and was regularly (every fourth night) working 30 hour shifts. I drank significantly more, probably on the order of 4-5 cups a day, with no ill effect. Anecdata to be sure but feel comfortable that modest caffeine consumption is safe in pregnancy.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

Yes, I drink coffee and I love it. I drink a lot though, so a few years ago I started buying caffe d'orzo which is a coffee substitute made from barley. They even have cappuccino d'orzo (instant cappuccino!) and it's actually really delicious! I used to work as a barista at one of London's best coffee houses, so I'm usually hard to please, but this one is tasty and doesn't make my tummy upset, like coffee does if I have too many mugs...

My GP said as long as I kept it under 8 cups I should be fine. He also let me drink wine and champagne (restricted amounts, of course), so I was a happy girl during my pregnancy!

Don't feel guilty, enjoy your coffee. You can also drink decaff, or try the orzo coffee if you can get it where you are.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

Whew! Good, now I can stop feeling guilty! Thanks ladies!
    Momma to:

Oakley Adam
    Aspen Elizabeth
    Brecken Charlie

Expecting another boy October 8, 2013