Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Euan/Ewan a variant of John?

Hi everyone,

We are on the hunt for a boy's name which is a variant of John. We want to use it in honour of my husband's grandfather, who was John, known as Jack but I don't want to use John or Jack. I am not mad about any other variants I have come across either.

However, I have stumbled upon Euan/Ewan and a number of sites are stating that it is a historical variant of John. We both really like this name, but I am concerned that it may not be a traditional variant of John as some sites don't list it, hence I thought it was time to ask the name gurus! I am confused because it also lists it as a variant of Hugh, which would be the middle name we will use.

Is Euan/Ewan a variant of John as far as you are aware?

Can you tell me anything about why it is listed as a variant of Hugh sometimes? (I am pretty sure it isn't).

We would be using the spelling Euan as this is the most common Scottish spelling, and we are Scottish.

Thanks!

Ewan/Euan is an Anglicized form of the Irish name Eoghan which may in turn be a form of Eugene. I don't believe it has anything to do with John. Owen is closer to Ewan than John.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

That's what makes more sense to me. Yet I keep finding things like this - Also a variant of Evan, and hence, also a version of John.

But it doesn't sound like it can be to me! I am still hopeful!

My friend, Ian, has 2 sons named Jovan and Ewan. He gave them those names to honour his father, Sean, himself, and his grandfather, John. I'm not sure if Jovan and Ewan are forms of John, but he said they were...
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Ewan/Euan is an Anglicized form of the Irish name Eoghan which may in turn be a form of Eugene. I don't believe it has anything to do with John. Owen is closer to Ewan than John.
    This has always confused me. Eoghan/Eoin in English sounds like Owen and not Euan. I mean, I can see how the letters are similar etc but to truly anglicise the spelling of Eoghan the spelling should be Owen.

I wonder how 'oh-in' became 'you-an' in sound.

Edit:: Just used Behind the Name. Seems like, despite sounding identical, Eoghan and Eoin have different roots??

Eoghan (oh-in) is Irish Euan
    Eoin (oh-in) is Irish John.

Welsh Iwan (you-an) also seems to come from John.
    Odd...
    Last edited by renrose; June 14th, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.