Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I guess it really depends on where you live and which name it is. I'm from S. Texas, not too far from the border. If I gave my kids a clearly Spanish name, I also feel like I'd have to teach them Spanish... otherwise they'd have a rough time at school. Also, I live in China now, but both DH and I are not Chinese. If we were to give our kids a Chinese first name, and only a Chinese first name, it might be extremely weird for everyone. I think only a few might work, like Kai. So I guess it depends on how tolerant your area/ host culture are. I'm white with French, Italian, and Cherokee heritage. DH is Azeri from Iran (Turkish-Iranian).

Kai (Chinese)
    Sachin (Hindi)
    Dermot (Irish)
    Kaleo (Hawaiian)
    Matyas (Polish)
    Lars
    Anders (Swedish)
    Tiernan (Irish)
    Imre (Hungarian)
    Malcolm (Scottish)
    Cavan (Irish)
    Seamus (Irish)
    Kearney (Irish)
    Conall (Irish)
    Cormac (Irish)
    Quinlan (Irish)
    Dmitri (Russian)
    Pavel (Russian)
    Teague (Irish)
    Dieter (German)
    Ferdinand (German)
    Harmon (German)
    Oberon
    Kalevi (Finnish)
    Timo (Finnish)
    Andros (Polish)
    Ammon (Egyptian)
    Bomani (Egyptian)
    Endre (Hungarian
    Narayan (Hindi)
    Viggo
    Omarion (Swahili)
    Ashon (Swahili)
    Hasani (Swahili)
    Malik (Arabic)
    Jamal (Arabic)
    Amir (Arabic)
    Iwan (Polish)
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    I like Raphael too. Probably because I am a child of the 80's/early 90's and I loved Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
    Same here! Plus it just has that exotic handsome sound to it.
    TTC #1
    Hoping to have a little Ragazzo or Ragazza soon.

I've struggled with the idea of using Amir and Javier, I do love them so. I feel like they are both so strongly tied to their cultures that it would just be hard to pull off, even in the middle spot. I love the fact that Amir means "tree top," I feel like it's connected to Rowan in a subtle way.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I think they're definitely usable in the middle spot. As for a first name, they could be difficult depending on where you live... Amir can be Hebrew or Arabic, but most people just think of the Arabic meaning... I think it could be a difficult name in the post-9/11 US (esp. the South). I could see Javier going over better, depending on your community. However, people would probably make assumptions about your ethnicity... It's kinda the hypocrisy of names right now. I'm not Irish, but I could get away with using Irish names... but with some ethnic names, it's much harder to pull off in the US.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

My name is Javad, it's Arabic/Persian/Sanskrit and my ancestry is Welsh/German/Polish/Irish (and my parents and brother have incredibly common names). I never would have wanted a different name. It's perfect for me. But I've also usually been in very diverse/accepting/open-minded communities. The only time my name was ever a negative issue is when I went to Israel, and having an Arabic name definitely raised some flags among the border control people there....

Some names from other cultures I really like and have considered using include: (but what to define as 'other cultures' here, I don't know, I'm just including names that sound relatively far away from the middle-class, white American naming customs)
    Rayhan
    Nabil
    Navid
    Amin
    Zamir
    Ezio
    Evren
    Badi
    Anatole
    Aldous
    Aurelio
    Oisin
    Anselm
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...