Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gloria

Gloria

I've read a few of the posts here about Gloria and it seems that the consensus is that most people like Gloria, but no other variations such as Gloriana.

As you all probably know, we would like to use Elena as a first name to honor DH's mom (Elaine), but I would also like to honor my mom. We can't use her other name, Fay, because it's already been used by my brother and SIL.

Elena Gloria V. would be 3-3-3 with syllables and I don't think it sounds good. However, I do think Elena Gloriana V. sounds good/better because it's 3-4-3. I'm pronouncing it glor-ee-ahn-ah not anna.

Thoughts?
    Girls: Matilda ~ Cordelia ~ Elena ~ Violet ~ Emilia ~ Catherine ~ Charlotte ~ Aurelia ~ Elaine ~ Lila

Boys: Elijah ~ Felix ~ Damon ~ Titus ~ Levi ~ Grayson ~ Declan ~ Dalton ~ Milo

My problem with Gloriana is the heavy association with Elizabeth I. It's so holy, divine, pure, celestial, virginesque and over the top, full of praise, high up on a pedestal. But it is pretty. I just prefer Gloria. Even if it is a 3-3-3 name.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Hmm I did a quick google search because I wasn't aware of this association. Is it a negative one?
    Girls: Matilda ~ Cordelia ~ Elena ~ Violet ~ Emilia ~ Catherine ~ Charlotte ~ Aurelia ~ Elaine ~ Lila

Boys: Elijah ~ Felix ~ Damon ~ Titus ~ Levi ~ Grayson ~ Declan ~ Dalton ~ Milo

No not negative; it was a popular name used by poets to praise the queen.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I think Elena Gloria is just fine, especially since you are choosing a middle name that honors a family member. Really hardly anyone will ever call her by all three names -- high school graduation is the only time I can remember anyone EVER using saying all three of my names out loud. I infinitely prefer Gloria to Gloriana.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996