Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I love Dashiell! I agree with the others--I say DASH-uhl, but I've heard the more proper French pronunciation (and the way Dashiell Hammett said it) is duh-SHEEL. While I'm usually one for going with the proper pronunciation, I think it's just too much effort to enforce dah-SHEEL. Plus, I love the sound of Dash-uhl, and I think Dash is adorable! duh-SHEEL nn Dash doesn't make quite so much sense.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

dash-uhl/ule
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

The correct pronunciation is "dah-SHEEL" according to the man who should know (Dashiell Hamnett) but most people don't pronounce it correctly!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    I love Dashiell! I agree with the others--I say DASH-uhl, but I've heard the more proper French pronunciation (and the way Dashiell Hammett said it) is duh-SHEEL. While I'm usually one for going with the proper pronunciation, I think it's just too much effort to enforce dah-SHEEL. Plus, I love the sound of Dash-uhl, and I think Dash is adorable! duh-SHEEL nn Dash doesn't make quite so much sense.
    lol, that's interesting! I've never heard of that before.

Honestly, rather than sounding properly French, it sounds more like "made-up-American" like Shaquille. Like it should be spelled Da'Shealle

I'd imagine it would be akin to trying to enforce the "proper French pronunciation" of Michael if used in America.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

The first time I heard this name was a few months ago on a fresh newborn baby. at delivery, asking the dad what the name was he said "Dash-EE-elle". Huh??? Then mom yells "i've told you so many times, its dah-SHEEL!!!!" I thought she had made up the name for sure.
    Maybe I am a name nerd
    Edmund & Henry
    First born & brother from a furry mother