Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ophelia?

I think it's a very pretty name, but I would caution you that teenagers think it funny to use Ophelia Butts when a substitute is in the classroom. I have heard this many times.

Thanks everyone! @katushka, we are pretty much stuck on middle names in general. Possibly Bridget or Louise. We want to use a family name because our other kids have family middles, but we can't come up with anything we like (and there is no one in particular that we really want to honor at this point). I probably wouldn't use a nickname, or would just see if one arose naturally.

Possible family middles:

Bridget
    Louise/Louisa/Lou
    Rae
    Kelley
    Mary (actually, I quite like Ophelia Mary!)
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

I dont know that it flows as well with the other children's names overall as Felicity. But Ophelia is a very beautiful name. It reminds me of the character from Pan's Labyrinth which is a favorite film of mine. Totally usable.
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~

If I am absolutely honest (which I think I can be because you have a different choice at #1!) I think it's beautiful and I love it and the Shakespearean reference. BUT. I could not shake the fear of jokes about 'Ophelia you up' and 'Ophelia <insert rude body part>' and worse 'paed-Ophelia'. It does go beautifully with your other children's names but I think Felicity is equally as good and more beautiful in meaning with less of a capacity for dodgy teasing. I know all names have bullying potential but Ophelia does seem to invite it more than most.

The teasing factor is definitely something to keep in mind. It has already led us to exclude Astrid and Amos. But I do so love Ophelia!
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996