Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Critique my boy names

Hello berries! I am Olympia, new to nameberry. To be correct, I have searching through the site since winter but only registered today.
    I am a new writer and while searching for character names, I became a nerd. I like to make combos and these are the names I like best for a boy. Could you please tell me what do you think of them?

Adam Levi or Adam Harvey
    Jasper Roderick with nickname J
    Rupert Noah
    Garett Barnaby with nickname Rhett
    Leopold Hugh with nickname Leo
    Edmund Oscar with nickname Ted

I love classic or vintage name, so called "undiscovered gems". If you have time, could you also give me some suggestions? I would be very grateful if you do, thank you.
    ● Olympia ● Literature Student

Constance AmySibyl HelenaTabithaEmmeline Twila Liv
    Atlas Rupert Otis Grover Casimir Nathaniel Ignatius Robin

Hey, is anybody out there? Looks like 75 people are on forum but no-one replies.
    ● Olympia ● Literature Student

Constance AmySibyl HelenaTabithaEmmeline Twila Liv
    Atlas Rupert Otis Grover Casimir Nathaniel Ignatius Robin

Adam Harvey is very good. It sounds much more authentic than Adam Levi
    Jasper Roderick with nickname J - Jasper Roderick is great too. His nickname ought to be lengthened to Jay instead of J though, so that there won't be any confusion.
    Rupert Noah - Rupert is a wonderful character name but you should scratch Noah. It doesn't blend well.
    Garett Barnaby with nickname Rhett - Also a very good name
    Leopold Hugh with nickname Leo - I like this one especially
    Edmund Oscar with nickname Ted - This is great, but where did you get Ted? There may be some confusion concerning Ted's identity in the story if you just let the name pop-up, as if you introduce him as Edmund Oscar and later on refer to him as Ted, with no clarification upon that being his nick-name. Good luck!

Welcome to Nameberry! I'll do a quick run-down of your list.

Adam Levi or Adam Harvey--I prefer Levi to Harvey, but with Adam I might prefer Harvey, both since Adam and Levi have the same number of letters and since Adam Levi is a double-dose Old Testament name (though that's not a bad thing--I just prefer to diffuse the imagery a little.) I also like combos with uneven rhythm, so with the 2-syllable Adam I'd probably look for something longer as a middle: Adam Isaiah (O.T. again!), Adam Connolly, Adam Augustus, etc.

Jasper Roderick with nickname J--Very handsome. Jasper is no longer an "undiscovered gem," at least not here, which makes me a bit sad since I recently began loving it. I try to avoid combos that contain the same ending and beginning letter, in this case R, as it makes the two names run together a bit; but this combo isn't giving me much trouble that way.

Rupert Noah--Again, the syllable count is the same, which bores my ear a tad. Also I haven't learned to love Rupert. Stylistically, though, I like the unexpectedness of this pairing, as Rupert is very English (or Australian) and quite unusual here, and Noah is a Hebrew name in our Top 5.

Garett Barnaby with nickname Rhett--Cute, but distinguished enough for a man. I prefer the spelling Garrett--it looks more complete.

Leopold Hugh with nickname Leo--I'm not in love with Leopold, but this is a hip combo. And I am in love with Hugh.

Edmund Oscar with nickname Ted--Love Edmund! Great associations (C.S. Lewis and Jane Austen) and neither too popular nor too outlandish. Edmund Oscar might be a bit over-the-top, sort of a double dose of vintage coolness, but it does work. I have Edmund Kay on my list; I think it has such a romantic, knightly sound. I wouldn't use Kay as a boy's first name, but as a middle I think it could pass.

A few from my list you may like:

Archibald "Archie"--not really a love of mine; I'm just beginning to warm to it. Archie is so cute.
    Basil
    Benedict
    Caedmon
    Caius/Caian
    Corbin
    Crispin
    Dermot
    Eustace
    Garth
    Gerard
    Hale
    Hawkin
    Heath
    Jethro
    Jonas
    Julian
    Lucian/Lucien
    Matthias
    Miles
    Percival
    Peregrine
    Phineas
    Ransom
    Remus
    Selwyn
    Tobias
    Walter
    Wayland

Best wishes!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

Edited for privacy.
    Last edited by saracita00; January 18th, 2014 at 07:51 AM.