View Poll Results: Which do you prefer? Why?
- 95. You may not vote on this poll
Jasper Ioas Brandt Lucky
Emrys Nabil Brandt Lucky
Results 21 to 22 of 22
Thread: Down to 2! Which do you prefer?
June 19th, 2013 03:15 AM #21Senior Member
- Join Date
- Dec 2012
- Lijiang, China
Thanks for the further responses!
I thought I'd give a little further reflection on why I like these two names, and their particular combos, to see if that sways any of your thoughts at all.
Emrys Nabil- A lot of you who have been closely following my naming process seem to prefer this one for me. I like Emrys for the following reasons:
- I'm about 1/4 Welsh, this name is Welsh
- I love the sound of it (though it's a bit 'softer' than most of my other favorites). Sounds like someone very friendly and kind to me.
- I love the meaning of it ('immortal one'-- which to me represents the immortality of the soul, which gives the name a 'soulful' feeling to me
Nabil is a very significant name in my religion (the name of one of the earliest historians of the Baha'i Faith, who was just an amazing soul in so many ways), plus I love the sound (nah-beel) and the meaning ('noble').
Jasper Ioas- I almost feel like my connection to this name might have a deeper significance in some ways. I like Jasper for the following reasons:
- It's a gemstone (nature related name). My son's name (Rayhan) means 'basil' in Persian and 'flower of paradise' in Sanskrit (also a nature related name). My wife's name is Lily (also nature related)
- It has roots in the Persian (as does my son's name and my name)
- This one may get a little theological for some of you (in summary- the name has religions significance to me), but in the Bible, jasper is used when describing the building of New Jerusalem. This has significance to me as a Baha'i, because in the Writings of the Baha'i Faith it is further explained that this reference is in reference to two things-- 1) the renewal of God's message in each successive stage of Revelation (as a Baha'i I believe that almost all of the world's major religions are actually part of one continuously unfolding religion, and that all of the religions share the same spiritual principles, but that as society develops, new social requirements arise (and new societal capacities exist), and also that as humanities spiritual potentialities develop over time, we become ready for the next stage of spiritual understanding (like a child going through primary school needs a new textbook for each successive year because his capacities have increased)), and 2) the physical construction of the Baha'i World Centre on Mt. Carmel in Haifa, Israel
- Also, we may have found a pretty solid Chinese name to go along with it. Emrys is much harder to figure out that element of the naming process with.
Ioas is a significant religious name for me as well, and in a way that connects to Jasper in a very subtle and somewhat poetic way. Leroy Ioas was an American Baha'i born in the late 19th century who did many wonderful things, and is one of my personal heroes. One of the things he was very involved with in the last couple of decades of his life was on things related to the construction of many of the buildings on Mt. Carmel in Haifa, Israel, where the Baha'i World Centre sits (and he's buried right next to Mt. Carmel). This subtle connection between the jasper reference and Leroy Ioas' specific efforts is really awesome to me. Makes me feel like the name Jasper and the name Ioas connect together in a really unique way.
Independently, I think I prefer Emrys Nabil to Jasper Ioas, but with the specific reasoning behind Jasper, I feel like it has a deeper significance to me, so at this moment I feel like I'm slightly swaying this way (and my wife likes both, she thinks they are both excellent names and thinks I should decide between the two).Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...
June 19th, 2013 05:51 AM #23
Oh dear, the baby really needs to be surprise boy twins so you can use both Emrys Nabil and Jasper Ioas! Just use Edward for Jasper's second middle...
Thank you for the explanation of your connections to both names. I knew your reasons for loving Emrys, but the depth of meaning behind Jasper is new to me, and I especially love the subtle connection between Jasper and Ioas and the nature and language links between the whole family's names this choice would give you. Personally, I still prefer Emrys; all the reasons I've given for that opinion still hold true, and I too might be a bit concerned that Jasper's significance would be lost on most people; but it is most important that the names you choose are meaningful to you, your wife and eventually the boys. I like Jasper Ioas very much, too, and if you choose Jasper, I'll be even happier in knowing more of the meaning behind it."He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet