Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How many chores is too many?

Before I start, I do not have children. This is a question from my daydreams of a family.

Growing up, my daily chores were to keep my room clean, sweep the bathroom daily, get my sibling breakfast, and clean my bedroom and a shared bathroom weekly. I set the table for dinner, and helped dry the dishes. I cooked once a week, and was responsible for helping in the yard as asked. My other chore was to give water to the flowers.

But I don't really know what a reasonable amount of chores for a child would be. I don't have any kids, so how many chores is too many? In my opinion, children should help around the house, but they need time to play and do schoolwork. If my child had a big project and did not have time for anything else, I would not have a problem with doing their tasks. Is this reasonable? I'm sorry if this has an obvious answer, but I need help seeing it. Thank you!
    ~Mehri

It completely depends on a child's age, maturity, and what the household is like. I think as long as a child is learning responsibility and how to live cooperatively with other family members, it doesn't matter if that's done through chores, or other obligations such as school, sports, practices, etc. I do think it's important to teach kids the basic of running a house, such as cooking and how to clean, but if the child is a straight A student and is extremely dedicated to a sport and practices each day, I don't think piling on chores is going to help teach them self-discipline, etc.

I'll likely hold my child responsible for keeping their bedroom neat, helping to clean up after dinner, and as they get old enough, their own laundry and cleaning up after themselves in the bathroom - wiping down the counters, sweeping, removing trash, etc.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

I had no chores. Like, zero! I would be made to do yard work with my dad on some occasions or asked to set the table or bugged to clean up my room or toys. No organized chores.

I really wish I had grown up with responsibilities and limits. Looking back, so much of my 'acting out' through the years was my desperate attempt to get those boundaries. They never happened. (My parents were kind of hippie/substance abusers)

Having had the childhood that I had I really don't know the answer to this questions, but I do want to know! I know that I want my daughter's roles to be clear to her and for them to not be something that changes according to my rules and whims. I think a set chore list is important.

At the same time I haven't swung too far from my mom's lax ways. I think that your list of chores was a bit long.

I also want to include chores that teach life-skills. Like prepping for dinner.

I don't think that merrybells list of chores is too long. Growing up, my siblings and I were each responsible for dinner once a week. This included helping my mom with the grocery list- I needed to tell her what items we needed and my meal needed to be within our budget. Whoever had not made dinner had to clean up after dinner.

I had to feed and walk the dog daily (I chose this over taking over the trash.) We also had to clean our rooms and the bathroom weekly and we all had to clean the house together on Saturday mornings. We would drag this out the entire day and it was ridiculous. My husband's parents had all of the kids clean the house together when they got home from school on Fridays, then they would all go out to dinner together. This way, everybody had a deadline to make them work more quickly rather than complaining about it all day.

We also had to fold the laundry, but I always loved that part b.c my folks would let us watch TV while we folded.

My mom paid us to do ironing- I think this was 25 cents per shirt and 50 cents per pair of pants. My dad would pay us to wash the car as well. We had to do whatever yard work came up as needed. We had to help w. whatever big projects my folks were doing, like canning tomatoes or juicing citrus or painting the house.

We complained about chores while growing up, of course. But it was really helpful to me to learn these things as a child. I am really good at cooking, meal planning, and grocery budgeting now, for instance. I had a roommate once who grew up with a maid. There is nothing wrong w. having a maid, but my roommate did not even know how to sweep! I liked her personally, but she made a pretty lousy roommate b.c she lived like someone who was expecting the imaginary maid to take care of things.

My son is one and a half now. Right now his chores are putting his toys away, which he loves doing. There is a lot of clapping involved. He also "helps" me do lots of things, like he will sweep w. his little broom while I sweep w. the big broom. He has a spray bottle of water and a rag and he loves to wipe things while I clean. He likes to mash bananas for me when I am baking banana related things- stuff like that. And he "helps" me feed the dog as well- this will probably be his first real chore, when he is old enough. He really does not know the difference between work and play right now, so these things all just seem like more playtime to him.

Its totally age dependant.

My daughter is 4, and she doesn't really have chores yet, apart from cleaning up after herself. She knows that every night, when its time to get into pyjamas, she has to put her dirty clothes in the laundry basket. If she takes a toy or book out (or multiple toys/books), she has to put it away when she's done. Dirty crockery/cutlery get put in the sink so mum/dad can put them in the dishwasher and aren't to be left on the table or counter top. Just basic stuff like that really, while she's so young.

She has a goldfish that she's responsible for feeding and a pot of flowers in the garden that she has to water.

I don't like to give her a lot to do, to be honest. When she's older I'll just expect her to keep her room clean and clean up after herself as she does now. I don't want her to be laden down with chores when there are other things I'd prefer for her to do.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.