Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First child with honor names--must others follow pattern?

Hi all.
    As a name nerd I have one child on the way and of course I'm already thinking about naming a second (just in case...not even sure if we will definitely have a second!)
    All the name stuff I read says it's important to think about sibsets in advance. We are having a boy this fall and his name is all picked out (which I never thought I'd do, but we have) and his first name will be the same as my father's, as well as the same as my wife's grandfather. The middle is the name of a very dear friend.
    Now, I'm wondering, are we putting ourselves into a tricky situation if we ever have another child? If it's a girl, we may have some options for honoring, but for another boy, we'd have to be creative/stretch a bit?
    Is this something to fret about, or am I being ridiculous?

It's not a big deal. I have a family name and my sister doesn't, and she couldn't care less.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Agree - no big deal. And should you have another child - there maybe another friend at that time that you wish to honour - life is ever changing :-)

I'm in a similar situation. All three of my children have middle names that honor family members. But if we have a girl this time around, we really don't have anyone left that we want to honor. So that leaves us choosing a random family name from the family tree, using my middle name, or just choosing a middle name that we love. If we have a boy, we have three or four names that honor family. The only ones we could possibly use for a girl are my mother-in-law's names Connie and Lou. Not really great middle name choices. But I don't love the idea of just using random family middles either. So possibly Louisa? I don't know.

Sorry for the rambling. In any event, I think if you use them for the first child and not the second, it's no big deal. But if you use them for the first three and not the fourth (as in my situation), it might be a big deal.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

Thanks. I think I'm over thinking this and because we've chosen a name, I'm already onto naming another one that doesn't exist.
    Now I'm tripping about whether to give the first one two last names and in which order. Ha.